Air Membrane Intact After Hatching, Chick w Handicap?

MrsBrooke

Songster
5 Years
Aug 11, 2014
Magnolia, Texas
Good morning.

We just hatched some new babies. We are first-time quail parents (got some eggs and an inc), and 8 of the 16 have hatched out over the course of day 17.5 to 18.5 (this morning).

No. 8 hatched at around 5-6 am or so. He's been in the inc resting. I checked his egg and found this:

Pretend the tear in the air sac isn't there - I accidentally touched it. When it gave way, I realized the whole membrane was still in tact.

I now have a chick that seems a little slower to lift his head, uncurl his toes, move around... He is still in the brooder with his pipped siblings to allow him drying time and see if he can catch up a little. He just looks slightly sleepy, but he's up to cleaning himself and falling everywhere. It'd be darned cute if I weren't having heart palpitations over him. :/

What do y'all feel is the prognosis for something like this?

Also, we have three more (to make 11 of 16) that are pipped, and we can feel movement/pecking in the shell. At 18.5 days, how long do we give them?

Thank you!!! ♡

MrsB

Quail can surprise you and survive. If he made it out of the egg by himself, I personally would give him hope. Hatching is very difficult on chicks. Usually this is a big test on their endurance. So he probably has a good chance of surviving.

As for being on day 18.5....I like to go 5 days past hatch date. Many times perfectly healthy chicks are late to hatch.

Congrats on the hatch so far and good luck with the rest!! :)

Quail can surprise you and survive. If he made it out of the egg by himself, I personally would give him hope. Hatching is very difficult on chicks. Usually this is a big test on their endurance. So he probably has a good chance of surviving.

As for being on day 18.5....I like to go 5 days past hatch date. Many times perfectly healthy chicks are late to hatch.

Congrats on the hatch so far and good luck with the rest!! :)

Thank you SO much for your response. I feel quite a bit better now. I had to leave him in the inc with another sibling who was in the process of zipping through the shell (about 3/4 of the way when I left), so I know I will have at least two peepers to great me when I get home. :)

What about the air membrane? Does that maybe have something to do a potential breech hatch? Just wondering.

Here's to hoping!

MrsB

Did he hatch out of the wrong end? Sometimes they do. If he survived to hatch out of the wrong end, he should continue to thrive. Don't hold your breath on this, LOL, but he may blend right in with the others in a couple days to where you can't tell him apart from the others.

Keep us posted!

Did he hatch out of the wrong end? Sometimes they do. If he survived to hatch out of the wrong end, he should continue to thrive. Don't hold your breath on this, LOL, but he may blend right in with the others in a couple days to where you can't tell him apart from the others.

Keep us posted!

I kinda wondered about that. The zip seems out of place, compared to the others. I'm sitting here on the edge of my seat, because I'm in the office still for another two hours... I hope he's okay when I get home!!!

I'll definitely let you know. :)

MrsB

Oh, you must be worried!!! I hope the little guy is ok. If he looks unstable when you get home, keep him in a warmer place than the others. If you can, get him in a brooder with 100 degree heat. Make SURE to dip his beak in the water. Oh, and put 1 heaping tablespoon of sugar in a quart waterer and fill with water. This will help him get his blood sugar up. Lots of times weak chicks have low blood sugar. Feed him some chopped up warm hard boiled eggs. These are loaded with B vitamins, E and amino acids. Keep him on egg for the first 24 hours. (clean up what he doesn't eat and don't leave it under the heat so it grows bacteria) But eggs are great emergency food for babies and can really boost them up. Healthies them up quick. This is only if he is in a weakened state compared to the others. If he is fine, then go about the regularly scheduled brooding operation. :)

Keep us posted ASAP!! :)

How is the little guy this morning?

When I checked, he was running around with the rest of them. :) I saw him get into the food and eat and drink, so he appears to be doing just great.

Like you said, I almost lost track of him! I'm so very relieved.

To help them out a little bit, I put a drop or two of Apple Cider Vinegar in their water with some yogurt smeared on the side of the brooder. They went nuts!

Thank you so much for your advice and support. It means a lot, TwoCrows!

MrsB

Quote: Oh that is great to hear!! I am so happy for the little guy!! Lots of times this is the case...they look all weak and exhausted right after hatch, but then the following day they look so good you can hardly tell them from the others.

GREAT JOB!! Take care of the little chicks and thanks for the update!!! :)

Back
Top Bottom