air sac in the wrong spot???

krazykat0373

Songster
11 Years
Oct 2, 2012
Southeast Oklahoma
Hi y'all, I have 21 eggs in the bator due to hatch next sunday, I candled yesterday and they all look normal but two....the air sac is not at the end its supposed to be its on the side of the egg, closer to the other end. Has anyone ever had that happen and what are the chances of it hatching? Just wondering if I should just cull that one and save myself the guilt I will feel of letting it come to hatch time and dying anyway.

Last edited:
Thank you for the link, I am day 12 of a 21 day hatch (chickens)so I will try the 45 degree angle and just going side to side on turning keeping the air sac up. I really hope this works.
fl.gif
These eggs are out of a naked neck hen and RIR rooster, and I really want to see if I can get some Nekkid Rhodes..lol, golly this girl lays some huge eggs....wonder if thats why the sac is in the wrong place or if thats just the way she lays, out of 3 eggs only one looks normal. Will post again if this works and they hatch. Thanks again
hugs.gif

You're welcome
hugs.gif
Best of luck and keep us posted! I really hope it works for you
fl.gif

well, I candled yesterday and one of the two eggs had stopped developing, so sadly was removed, but good news on the other, the air sac is edging slightly upwards with lots of movement. yayy! Just hoping come hatch time that it will internally pip in the right spot, and not suffocate itself.

I wish I had a camera good enough to take a pic of this egg...the sac has almost covered the whole side of the egg from sharp end to blunt and is covering dang near half the egg on one side, like its wrapping around also... this egg is the size of the turkey eggs I am now getting and storing, waiting for an empty bator.
tongue.png

and moving....I have never seen that much movement in an egg, like its dancing....and its got me thinkin, which is most times dangerous... what if it has a dancing partner in there? Doesn't look to me like its "solid" enough for two, at 15 days. I would think if there were two they would be cramped and unable to move much. I checked (ate) quite a few of her eggs before incubating any of them and they have always been a single yolk.

The other egg of hers is developing along normally and in the turner with the other 18.

Friday is lockdown, I think I will modify an egg carton and put my "problem" baby in it so others that might hatch before that one
fl.gif
don't jostle it around.

reckon that will work, for pipping in the "right" spot too?

sorry for rambling, but I am both excited and anxious to see how /if this baby comes out.
I think DH is getting sick of me talkin about my biddies.
smack.gif

Back
Top Bottom