Air Sac in Wrong Position - "UPDATED" - All my Eggs have hatched!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Goblnfvr, Sep 18, 2011.

1. Goblnfvr

Goblnfvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    Midland Ont. Canada
    I have set a seven brown eggs I got from a friend of mine in a new incubator I just built [Rush Lane cooler/bator design]. This is the first time for this incubator and only my second time incubating eggs.
    When I got the eggs from her one of the eggs had a lot of spider web like cracks in the shell and I was wondering if I should even bother trying to incubate this one. I candled the egg when I got it home and the shell was solid and I did not notice any other abnormalities. The eggs have been in for 7 days now and when I candled them all today to check for embryo's [all 7 have developing chicks in them] I noticed that the air sac in this egg is not in the end of the shell but more on the side towards the middle of the egg. The egg has a developing chick inside which was moving around vigorously.

[​IMG]

Here is a picture of the egg in question
    [​IMG]

Has anyone else seen this before?
    Should I let the chick come to term or should I end the incubation now?

My concern is that the chick will be born deformed and I will have to put it down anyways which I feel will be alot harder to do.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

UPDATE:

All my eggs have hatched even the one with all the structural cracks and the air sac on the side produced a perfectly healthy chick.
    Here is some pictures of the chicks.
    The black one is from a set of eggs that I had recv'd from a friend that out of the 6 eggs I got from her this was the only fertile one - and he/she hatched on Thursday. The yellow ones I got from another friend and they started hatching today.
    I have seven total and two are still in the incubator drying out as they just emerged at 8:30.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 2, 2011
  2. Bantam Username

Bantam Username Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2011
    Wiltshire, UK
    My last batch of eggs all had large air sacs on the side of the egg and out of the 4 eggs, 3 hatched into happy healthy chicks, one egg died about day 17. But all three chicks are strong healthy and perfect. Not sure about the cracks on yours but they look to be a structural thing rather than actual cracks. I'd give it a go, it'll either make it to hatch day or it won't. [​IMG]

3. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree. Give it a chance. [​IMG]

4. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Why is it all cracked?

5. Goblnfvr

Jul 4, 2011
    Midland Ont. Canada
    Not sure why the egg was formed with all the "cracks" in it.
    The egg is solid and when I first candled it I was expecting it to be cracked right through but it wasn't.
    As batam indicated they are just structural and the chick looks like it is developing just fine.

Will have to wait and see. They are expected to hatch on October 2nd.

6. shelby528

shelby528 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Ontario
    I work on an egg farm and see this all the time..its usually structurally sound if an egg is like that sometimes though it isnt. Give it a go see what happens Ive had tons like this! Some do and some dont make it...fact of life. [​IMG]

7. shelby528

shelby528 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Ontario
    Quote:It has to do with the hen being stressed 2 days before that egg was layed. A chicken (when stressed) usually takes anywhere from 24-48 to show symptoms (when laying an egg) ie. jelly eggs or wonky looking eggs. Its nothing to serious..could have been caused by a storm, loud noise, heat, cold anything really. I see this all the time in the barn I work in [​IMG]

8. Goblnfvr

Jul 4, 2011
    Midland Ont. Canada
    All my eggs have hatched.
    Even the one with all the structural shell cracks and the air sac on the side of the egg.

See beginning of post for pictures.

I am so happy:D

9. Cattitude

Cattitude Chillin' With My Peeps

C O N G R A T Z

[​IMG]

10. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    [​IMG]