1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Air Sac on the side - ??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickmanna, Mar 19, 2012.

1. chickmanna

chickmanna Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    Battle Ground, WA
    [​IMG]

As I was candling the eggs last night in preparation for lockdown, I couldn't see an air sac in one of them. I always do a float test at this point as well, and when I floated this particular egg it floated completely on it's side. So after looking again, I see the air sac as marked in the picture above. Everything else looks good and the egg was definitely showing movement when floated.

So my question is this. All the eggs have been big end up in a carton or a turner to this point. I normally hatch in cartons also, but now I'm wondering whether this egg would be better hatching on it's side, or left as it has been for the last 19 days? Anybody have any experience with this?

2. Debi214

Debi214 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    Richmond, VA
    I just saw your post and was curious if the egg hatched. I really like your idea about floating the egg to check for an air sac if you can't find one on the large end.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by