Air sac question- Now Hatching!!

eschwaderer

Songster
10 Years
Feb 28, 2009
Ohio
I'm on day 12 and I have a few eggs that somehow managed to get there air sac attached in some odd places in the egg. They were set properly after shipment to allow it to stabilize before incubation. Should these eggs be handled differently, after day 18, than a normally presenting egg (with the air sac at the large end of the egg)? Should I hatch these in egg cartons and place the egg so that the sac is at the top? One has an air sac almost completely on its side. I've only lost 1 out of 18 so far and I just want to maximize their chances.

Last edited:

Msbear

Fancy Banties
11 Years
May 8, 2008
Sharpsburg, MD.
I would put them on their sides. I've had some very wacky air cells from shipped eggs. some of them stretched from the bottom all the way down the sides to the top. One didn't make it but the other 6 did.

Good Luck.

Msbear

Fancy Banties
11 Years
May 8, 2008
Sharpsburg, MD.
It looks like you only have the two really bad ones. Make sure the air side is leaning up but, other than that, there is really nothing you can do but wait. I would guess they will still hatch with no problems. Good Luck

BawGock

Songster
11 Years
Jan 21, 2009
Idaho Panhandle, USA
I'm having my first hatching experience with shipped eggs and I have 3 out of 12 with air cells just like the ones you show.
Of course they have babies in them and I'm going try to position them the best I can when I take them out of the turner.
Keep us posted on how your's do and I will do the same.
Good luck!
Carolyn

eschwaderer

Songster
10 Years
Feb 28, 2009
Ohio
First one pipped and hatched within 5 minutes of coming home from work! AND it was the one with the really wacky out air sac!

Top Bottom