Air Sac Question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rhino533, Apr 27, 2011.

1. rhino533

rhino533 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Thailand
    My eggs have been in the incubator for 7 days now. I started with 16eggs. I candled them last night and 11 eggs were good and 5 were duds. Each egg that is fertile has a black spot about the size of nickel and all are moving around. One egg had a big air sac. The air sac was partially at the large end of the egg and went towards the small end. I would say it covered 35-40% of the egg. The egg is fertile and the little chick inside is moving around a lot. My question is will it survive because the air sac is so big? This is my first time hatching eggs and I'm using my homemade incubator. Very exciting!!

Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
  2. rhino533

Apr 21, 2011
    Thailand
    ??

3. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    This egg, is it closer to the heat source, or further from the water source?

Large air cells are caused by the evaporation of the liquid inside the egg. So it's not as wet as the others, or hotter than the others... Or is it in an incubator with a fan blowing on it?

4. rhino533

Apr 21, 2011
    Thailand
    Quote:Hmmm I believe the egg was in the middle it had an egg on either side. My fans don't blow directly on the eggs. I have 2 small computer fans that blow above the eggs about 10" straight at the 60w light that's on the oppisite side of the incubator and the air seems to be spread out pretty evenly around. I've had no temperature spikes and the temp stays pretty steady between 99.5 - 100.2. The weird thing is the other eggs might have a small air sac, smaller than normal I think. How big should a normal size air sac be?

5. jenlynn4

jenlynn4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    PA
    It could be that the membrane is not attached right there and It can look like a huge air cell. I'd just incubate it as normal and give it a chance anyhow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by