Air sac shape

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by pnp4kidz, Jan 27, 2011.

1. pnp4kidz

pnp4kidz Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi guys,
    I'm pretty new at this, and terrible at candling... so I do try so I can learn...
    yesterday was lockdown, and most of the eggs looked viable (yeah!)
    but I did notice that the air sacs now look different, is it normal for them to go from straight across sacs to kind of scooped down on two sides, scooped up on the other two?? I'm not describing well I'm sure... but the line is almost wavy...

2. heksa

heksa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Indiana
    I have never hatched before, but I think it means that the chick pipped internaly - its head is in the airsac. I think.

3. pnp4kidz

oh, THAT would be cool!!!
    :)

4. heksa

heksa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Indiana
    better wait for someone else to answer, 'cause I just vaguely remember reading something like that …. but have no experience otherwise. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 27, 2011
  5. pnp4kidz

LOL... thanks! Not going to 'do' anything anyway... they are on lockdown, so I can't even look again! :)
    just hoping to hear what everyone thinks!
    thanks!!

6. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

I did my 1st hatch 2 weeks ago and was waiting for 1 to hatch 2 days after the others. I candled it and it was like you described. It hadnt pipped or rocked in a few days so I opened it. It was dead and the inner sack had sort of stuck to the chick..kind of like dried up and the chick was dead with the yolk only half absorbed...dont take my word that this is what has happened to yours tho. MIne was like and air sac with another air sac attached going down the sides of the shell

Last edited: Jan 27, 2011
  7. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Ok, you see this a lot using the dry hatch method. I dont see it as a good thing but it not exactly bad ether. To me: If one or 2 look like that then it means your humidity on day 1-18 was just about perfect but a little low. If most look like that then it was more than a little low. If I see that I bump my hatch time humidity up. I normally hatch at 70% but seeing that would do 75%.

The change in shape is the air-sack incrotching on the chicks space from growing to big.

8. pnp4kidz

Ok, thanks!
    I did add more water today as the humidity went down from 70 to almost 60% this am... and we are only on the first day of lockdown!
    they must be absorbing a lot of the water... and it is very dry relative humidity here...
    my incubating humidity held at about 35 to 40, but it did dip once or twice to the 20's...
    that is probably the problem...
    still fingers crossed! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by