Air sac under skin

chickychicks5

Chirping
Sep 26, 2018
This one week old chick has what appears to be is air trapped under her skin by her neck. At 3 days old out of nowhere I thought she was going to pass. She was sleeping all day not eating and I had to hand feed water about every hour. I gave her nutri drench about 3 times and the next day she became more alert. I always noticed the side of her neck was more full then the other chicks in the group but thought maybe just her crop fuller. She is now eating and drinking on her own and acting almost as she was before. I was checking her out today as some of the swelling I had noticed seemed to have gone down. Should I just continue to monitor since she seems to be doing better? Or does the air need to come out? Pictures attached.
IMG_1640.JPG
IMG_1641.JPG

It's likely a ruptured air sac, that can happen getting knocked around or running into something. If it's going down, and the chick is breathing OK then I would just monitor it, sometimes they will resolve on their own. If it was to continue to grow larger or the chick was having trouble breathing, then I would release the air. You would dab some disinfectant on the area, and prick it, just under the skin, with a sterile needle to release the air, then put a dab of plain neosporin on it.
https://www.birdtrader.co.uk/emergency-care-for-birds-air-sac-rupture/

Back
Top Bottom