Air Sack Moves?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LaurynRose, Sep 20, 2016.

1. LaurynRose

LaurynRose Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2015
    Missouri
    I have shipped eggs and the air sack moves around a little. Is it detached or do all air sacks move around? Thanks

2. n8ivetxn

n8ivetxn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    Elma, Washington
    I'm no expert, but incubating my first shipped eggs now, I think it's common to have a little movement. If you turn the egg on its side, and the bubble rolls, it might be detached.....maybe AmyLynn will chime in with more precise info. I had several that were a little jiggly and 2 that just rolled around completely.

Out of 41 eggs, at day 12, I think 10-12 of them (at best) are viable. More likely, 7 - 8.

3. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    With shipping you often get either wobbly air cells or fully detatched air cells. A good air cell does not move. A wobbly air cell will wiggly a little, but they stay in place. These often firm up under the right conditions. If the air cell moves down the egg as you tilt it. It's fully detatched and those are another story. They are usually trouble. Sometimes you might get a ruptured air cell, where you will see little bubbles usually around the bigger air cell "bubble". That's not good at all. Shipped eggs have a high amount of saddle cells as well where the air cell actually looks saddled. These are iffy, but there's always a chance of them hatching.

4. n8ivetxn

Nov 15, 2011
    Elma, Washington
    I have one that was ruptured. I didn't know that until you described it... under the light it looks like a clover leaf or a paw print, one central bubble with a couple smaller ones attached to the side.

5. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Sounds like they got shook up pretty good! I have never heard anyone say they have had a ruptured air cell develop and hatch. Not to say it's never happened, but I would imagine if they've been that shook up that the damage on a cellular level to the rest of the egg would be great. Has yours shown any development at all?

6. n8ivetxn

Nov 15, 2011
    Elma, Washington
    Oh no, and I didn't expect it to, really...that would be too amazing! LOL... I'll remove it soon. I should've already, but I guess I was just holding onto hope as long as possible, LOL! Even though my box was in good condition, that only tells part of the story - it makes me wonder what the eggs really went through [​IMG]. My best guess is that out of the 41, only 6 - 8 will hatch...and that's if I'm lucky!

Last night I was on the Araucana thread and I PM'd a couple of people that have live chicks available, but no response today.... I might call up Edd (seller I got eggs from) and see if he has any right now. He's close enough that the birds would have a short trip.... If I had more disposable income right now, I'd jump in the car and make a road trip out of it. I have a girlfriend that would probably be willing to go...[​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by