Air sack on the side, Will it hatch???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 4HillsSumatras, May 26, 2010.

1. 4HillsSumatras

4HillsSumatras Chillin' With My Peeps

I was candling some of our eggs last night and noticed one with its air sack on the side of the egg instead of the top. How will this affect the groth and hatch? Never seen one like that. We are on day 12. Some insite from some experencied hatchers would be great. This is only our 3rd one in an incubator and we are learning what to look for in th candeling process.

Thanks for all your help.

2. SarahFair

SarahFair Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    Does the air sac move around?
    If so it probly wont have much a chance at hatching [​IMG]

3. 4HillsSumatras

No it does not move. Looks perfect except it is on the side.

4. Rhi13

Rhi13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2010
    Belmont,NH
    I have the same "issue" with my duck egg that is due to hatch. As of day 32(Muscovy) its still swimming!!!

Last edited: May 26, 2010
  5. SarahFair

SarahFair Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    Im not sure then...
    I reckon it couldnt hurt to try [​IMG]

6. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    yep it can hatch [​IMG]

7. 4HillsSumatras

[​IMG] It did hatch!! I had to help it to completly get out of the shell. Today at 6 days old it is doing great.

8. SeaHen

SeaHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2009
    Springfield, OR
    I have a duck egg with the air cell on the side too; we're on lockdown now and as of last night it was alive and kicking! I've been really worried about the hatching part, so it's great to know it can work. I've been anticipating having to assist at some point. Congratulations!

9. 4HillsSumatras

The shell wanted to stick to the chick. It had completly zipped but had not been able to totaly seperate from the shell. I opened the bator and removed all the shell. At first I was afraid it would not make it because it did not look like it was going to be able to straighten out and be able to walk. But praise The Lord after a few hours it was up and moving about. Even if you help it out don't be in a hurry!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 10, 2010
  10. SeaHen

SeaHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2009
    Springfield, OR
    Thanks for the information. I've been concerned about birth defects and skeletal problems because it looks so squished on one side of the egg. Where did your baby pip? I will take your advice and resist jumping in too soon to help. God bless!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by