Air sack still deatched after 48 hours

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BlackAce, Aug 17, 2013.

1. BlackAce

BlackAce Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2013
    I have 12 Rhode Island Red eggs they I received shipped off the Bay. I let them sit fat side up for 24 hours at room temperature and checked them and they were still detached. I then set them in the incubator again fat site up and they are still detached. I have 12 eggs and out of those 12 about 6 - 8 have detached air sacks. What are my chances of those hatching? ZERO????

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    I don't know anything about shipped eggs, as I have never bought them. But what would be the harm in incubating them along with the others? It's not going to cost any more to stick them in the incubator and see what happens.

3. BlackAce

BlackAce Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2013
    I have them in the incubator already. I had them sit fat end up at room temperature for 24 hours and check the egg and the sack was still detached. The I put the in the incubator fat end up for 24 hours. I checked them again and the air sack was still detached. Now I have them laying on the side with the rest of the eggs. Now I'm waiting to see what happens.

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Air cells unfortunately doesn't reattach that quickly. For best results incubate the eggs fat end up, at a 45* angle and when you'd normally turn them, tilt them 90* over to the opposite side and let them rest at a 45* angle again. Do this a few times a day. By day 18 they should be safe to lay on their sides for the rest of the incubation and hatch. If you leave them on their sides with the damaged air cells, you are going to have problems later on and may end up losing those chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by