1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Air sacks not shrinking enough

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Senna95, Apr 3, 2016.

1. Senna95

Senna95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Woodland
    Most of the questions I see are about air sacks getting too big, but I have the opposite problem. Here in the humid Pacific NW I do not add any humidity to my incubator, I have good air flow (cabinet incubator), and I have a separate hatcher where I can increase the humidity at hatch time. Problem is that even with zero added humidity my air sacks are often way too small, making it very difficult for my ducklings at hatching time.

I have several eggs that I had to was before setting them, and those air sacks seem to be doing better, but this is not an ideal solution since it can create other issues.

Is there anything I can do to help?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Put a dehumidifier in the room. Preferably a small room or even a large closet.

3. lindalouly

lindalouly Grd Ctrl 2 Major Tom

I live in the Pacific Northwest as well.. But my humidity is too low if I don't add water. I have heard of people buying dehumidifier stop help if their environment has a high humidity. Is there a way to move the bator in a more stable area in the house or create a box that it can be put in. What does the humidity read in the bator now and how many days of incubation are you on?

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I have a friend with humidity problems in Puerto Rico. He moved his incubator into his computer room with servers and other equipment running. Now his humidity is perfect.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by