Air sacs and porous eggs????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kennedyscochins, Jan 20, 2010.

1. kennedyscochins

kennedyscochins Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2009
    Big Clifty
    I have just ordered my first incubator! I have read stuff about the air sacs and how porous the eggs are, but I don't remember what it was. Is there something I should look for in regards to air sacs and the eggs being porous in relation to incubating and hatching? Also, if anyone has pictures of air sacs and porous eggs, please post them. Thanks in advance!

2. rocketdog312

rocketdog312 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2009
    Phoenix, Arizona
    porous eggs cannot hold moisture so eggs that are porous will have their air sacs enlarge faster. also the chick will have a hard time hatching.

3. Karrie13

Karrie13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Minnesota
    This thread https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=261876 has a great picture of a porous egg. I recently set 46 eggs and one of them was porous I set it anyway just to see what would happen and it never developed. I didn't expect it to either.

When you begin incubating your first hatch, just keep an eye on the humidity and you will be just fine. There are many different ideas on what the ideal humidity is but is usually 35 - 50% the first 18 days then at lockdown 65 - 75%.

What kind of incubator did you order?

Good luck! There is a lot of information in this section on what you need to know to have a sucessful hatch.

4. Paganbird

Paganbird CrescentWood Farm

Apr 25, 2009
    Western Pa
    Here is a pic of a porous egg with a bloodring. It had started developing, but quit during the 1st week.
    [​IMG]

5. kennedyscochins

Sep 1, 2009
    Big Clifty
    Quote:It's a hovabator with circulating fan. It's what I wanted for Valentine's Day but I got it early!!!!

Can anyone post a picture of an egg that is not porous and would be ideal for incubating?

6. Paganbird

Paganbird CrescentWood Farm

Apr 25, 2009
    Western Pa
    Here's an egg from the same batch. Around day 7 of incubation. You can see the embryo.
    Notice how smooth the shell looks... not spotted like the porous shell.
    [​IMG]

7. kennedyscochins

Sep 1, 2009
    Big Clifty
    Karrie13-
    That was an awesome link! Exactly what I needed! It seems that they candled the eggs a lot. Is there a certain number of times to candle or will it hurt the hatch?

8. kennedyscochins

Sep 1, 2009
    Big Clifty
    Quote:Thank you all so much!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by