1. only one lay

only one lay Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2008
    litchfield mi
    everyone says to build coop tall enough to stand in. That said- it is done. But cleaning under-nest boxes-roosting bars only tqake up so much space. Is the space above food barrels, and other supplies just wasted? What do you do with it?

edt :sp clarity

Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
  2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Well, depending on the breed the *chickens* use some of that airspace, flying down off the roost or for some breeds just fluttering from point A to point B for various reasons.

Some people create upper 'shelves' around the walls for the chickens to use. However, I gather that mostly the chickens do not use them much [​IMG]

In large part, though, the upper half of a walk-in coop is unoccupied most of the time. That doesn't mean it is a pointless luxury that only benefits you the human; a full-height (and therefore larger air volume) coop is a lot easier to manage in cold weather than one that is only just barely tall enough for the chickens. When you don't have that 'extra' air volume, you need proportionately more ventilation yet there is nowhere good for it to *occur* that doesn't chill the chickens. So, having a full height coop in a cold-winter climate actually does simplify managment (beyond the obvious 'you can go in there and shut the door behind you instead of leaving an access hatch hanging open', I mean).

Most of all, though, it just IS really nice not to whack your skull fifteen times while refilling the feeders [​IMG]

Pat

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I love my tall coop... and so do my birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by