Air space

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by seminolewind, Jul 20, 2008.

1. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Hi, I have 4 eggs in the bator. They all have movement, this is day 18. However, one has an air space that is almost half of the egg. Problem?

2. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Hmmmmm......doesn't sound normal to me but I'm not an expert. It seems too small a space for the whole chick to be in.

3. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Quote:Thanks Buster. BTW how did that Polish hatch turn out?

4. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Well, two hatched but one failed to thrive and died. The one left really holds its' own with the bigger chicks though. It is white with a couple of small black spots. We really like it- I call it a pollack. [​IMG]

5. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    That is a lot of space, but I've had those too. Better too much than too little. Just make sure the chick pips into the aircell. You can usually see it's beak up there if you candle it. That will give it plenty of air to breathe and room to turn around and get ready for hatching.

6. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    When should their beak be in the airspace? Just want to be sure.

7. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Quote:Well, just curious about how the eggs survived the trip. I had 4 out of 6 under 2 different hens.
    I love their color and the black dots. Hope they stay. Thanks for being my test pilot. Let me know when you want to test more

Last edited: Jul 20, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by