Air Under Skin - Coyote attack victim

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Laurelm, Jan 10, 2011.

1. Laurelm

Laurelm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    San Diego County
    About 10 days ago my Speckled Sussex pullet was carried off in a coyote’s mouth – I know this because I came out the door in time to see him – but there was nothing I could do except yell at him.
    That evening as I was closing up the coops and I saw the little pullet limping down the bank to come in. I couldn’t believe it! The coyote obviously dropped her at some point and she limped her way home.
    She was very swollen and has feathers missing under her wings. No blood but I figured she had internal injuries. I put her in the house expecting her to pass but she is still alive! She has been eating and drinking the whole time.
    The swelling has gone way down but now she has air under her skin on one side and a fever. Not sure what, if anything to do about the air – kinda like bubble wrap. I put her on antibiotics and will continue to watch her. Her name is Lucky and I hope she makes it.

Any ideas – or has anyone seen this before?

Thank you.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
  3. ryanhodapp

ryanhodapp Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    St. Louis
    Ms. Lydia--you know everything

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    ryanhodapp, I do not know everything but I love to be able to help others if I can, I would never want to come across as a know it all. [​IMG]

5. Laurelm

Jul 14, 2009
    San Diego County
    Thank you Miss Lydia! I thought that was probably what was necessary but wanted to be sure. I'll take care of her tonight. She's a tough little gal & I sure hope she makes it!

6. Hippie Chicks Mom

Hippie Chicks Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Near Old Forge NY
    As a nurse, I must also add that the air under the skin can most likely be from a punctured lung. Just keep an eye on her! Good luck.

7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I hope so too, please keep us posted on how she does.

8. ryanhodapp

ryanhodapp Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    St. Louis
    sorry, not a know it all, just someone with a lot of chicken knowledge.
    It was a compliment, I learn much from you.

9. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    What a nice compliment ryan, most all I have learned is from here on BYC. I read alot . But I have much to learn also. Thanks though.[​IMG]

10. Laurelm

Jul 14, 2009
    San Diego County
    Thanks Hippy Chick - She is not having a hard time breathing no tension pneumo or creptis but it is strange. We'll see how she does tonight......I hope for the best & I'll do all I can but time will tell.................I keep you posted.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by