Air ventilation... chimney??

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by NysiaAnera, Nov 15, 2016.

1. NysiaAnera

NysiaAnera Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2015
    Malad City, ID
    Would a chimney work for adding ventilation to a chicken coop?
    If so, how big around should it be? Does anyone have one?
    I really think it should work, but I don't want to add one and then not have it work.

2. tmarsh83

tmarsh83 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2015
    NEIN
    Yes. And no.

If you're talking about putting a vent stack on the roof of the coop, that is open to the ceiling of the coop, then, basically, yes. You are providing a vent by which warm air will be drawn out and ventilate the coop. It shouldn't be the only ventilation, but it would vent air.

The key is that the "chimney" has to be gathering air high in the coop.

A chimney in the traditional sense vents a fireplace. The fireplace is at floor level. If this setup were employed in a chicken coop it would vent nothing. The cool air at the bottom of the coop isn't the air that needs changed. It is the warm, moist air, higher in the coop that you need to evacuate.

3. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    What you would be talking about, is a cupola, like the pic below. Old time engineering.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
    sylviethecochin and Hokum Coco like this.
  4. ECBW

ECBW Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    NJ
    It would work based on heat rises, similar to gable vent and ridge vent, but more construction.

5. NysiaAnera

NysiaAnera Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2015
    Malad City, ID
    Thanks for your replies! We have ventilation holes that worked great during the summer, but for winter, I think we will need some changes. With our setup, the cupola would not work without some major construction changes, but maybe down the road that would be a good option. A vent stack is more what I was thinking. Because of the way our coop is, it would go from the ceiling of the coop, through a loft (it is in a large storage shed), and out the top. Opening up the ceiling is not an option right now, but if it was (I am hoping I can do that down the road) I would definitely build a cupola.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by