"AIRBORNE"-brand herbal supplement/cold remedy for CHICKENS??

PoultryPedia

Crowing
15 Years
May 25, 2008
Idaho/Utah
What do you think of using the Airborne brand (or similar brands) "cold remedy" herbal supplement as an immunity boooster for sick chickens??
There's a description of the product at http://www.drugstore.com/airborne-effervescent-health-formula-zesty-orange/qxp76905 . I've been taking it & similar ones for years & they've helped me fight colds.

I'm considering using a Kroger brand one that also contains probiotics. It's similar to the one at http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/wa...t-effervescent-tablets/ID=prod6000556-product . I am thinking I'd break off a small corner of the tablet & dissolve it in a gallon of drinking water for the chickens.

I was considering it for treating mycoplasma or coryza in chickens. It's used for colds in people, but that's just because it's an immunity booster in general.

I'm considering it more & more, because I'm out of yogurt & need some kind of probiotic to offset the antibiotics I'm using.

Ingredients are listed as:
Herbal Extract Blend: Maltodextrin, Lonicera Caprifolium (Honeysuckle), Forsythia Fruit, Schizonepeta (above ground parts), Ginger (dried rhizome), Chinese Vitex (Fruit), Echinacea Angustifolia (Coneflower), Amino Acid Blend, Glutamine, Lysine; and Sorbitol, Citric Acid, Natural & Artificial Orange Flavor, Mineral Oil (Paraffinum Liquidum), Acesulfame Potassium, and Sucralose

Do these sound good to anyone for chickens?

Last edited:
does it have any vitamin values? just I always hear about people giving chicken human vitamins with NO iron. Not sure why that is but yeah.

Could the added flavours affect the meat/eggs if they were a production chicken? Or would it would it successfully be processed by the body? The oil might give them the runs a bit.

I would look up the plant ingredient on 'plants poisonous to birds/poultry/chickens" online to see if there would be any problems.

My pullet was diagnosed by a avian vet as having a cold once, all she did was sneeze, all tests came back clean. I gave her a natural cough mixture of ivy extract three times a day (loosens mucus) and mashed garlic/bread/milk mixture (garlic is good when sick, plus it can kill parasites) twice and she was better in a week.

I have also been warned by my vet about getting too close to any of my birds when I'm sick because I could pass it onto them. Zoonoses are a lot more common than people think! It's also a good excuse to get someone else to clean the cages for once!

I cruised through a local Tractor Supply a couple days ago and saw a good poultry supplement on their shelves. It's a crumble you add to their food of protein, vitamins, minerals and amino acids. The bag was $6.99, if I recall, and looked like something that would be useful to boost immunity. Not sure if it had probiotics, but looked like it was for conditioning birds for show or something along those lines. Anything that boosts the immune system would be good, I'd think, as long as it was safe for avian species.

I'd pass on anything with the artificial sweeteners in it, though, as you have listed above. Acesulfame Potassium and Sucralose are what make up Splenda.

Back
Top Bottom