Airedale Terriers and Cochin Bantams

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sheilawagner, Aug 6, 2010.

1. sheilawagner

sheilawagner Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    Pacific NorthWest
    I have a new batch of 7 Cochin Bantam chicks and 10 Polish chicks, who simply adore my 2 Airedale terriers. And if some of you are aware, Airedale terriers are known to be "Terrors" - the King of the Terriers, aka rodent killers, they kill small game, birds, squirrels, snakes, mice, you name it, you train it, and they kill it.

My younger Airedale Rummy (1yo) is the resident hunter, but he has such a soft spot for the Cochins, it is unbelievable. He has one particular Blue Cochin bantam that he is partial to, and he allows that blue Cochin to do anything to him, snuggle in his armpit, peck at his nose and tongue, jump on his back, nap on his head etc. This Blue cochin is special because he is so calm and mellow although he has turned out to be a he. The two of them are so adorable together. I just had to share my story and their love for one another, and some pics too. They bring a smile to my face.

[​IMG]
    At age 1 week, the Blue Cochin snuggles up to Rummy. Right from the beginning, of all the Cochin bantams, this one adores Rummy so much, he is fearless, and so trusting.

[​IMG]
    Rummy is always happy to cuddle up to his chick.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    He licks his chicks, nuzzle them softly, and lets them climb all over him.

Spring forward to the future,
    [​IMG]
    The baby Cochin is now much bigger, he is 4 weeks old, and they are still cuddling and snuggling while napping together.

[​IMG]
    Every day, I do bonding sessions with the chicks and the Airedales. We do different activities (always face to face) together, in the beginning, I let the dogs sit and watch the chicks eat , sometimes, they just hang together, and sometimes, they nap together. I felt that I wanted the train the Airedales to strengthen their need to protect the chicks, especially once they start free ranging, I can harness their protective instinct for the benefit of the chickens when they mature.

[​IMG]
    Cross Species love is possible.

[​IMG]
    Rummy and his flock of Cochin Bantams snuggling up to him for warmth as they nap.

[​IMG]
    My buff frizzle Cochin Bantam

Last edited: Aug 6, 2010
  2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Actually I always thought they were "The king of Terriers," because they are so regal. Yours are beautiful. I pity the fool that tries to harm your your fuzzy butts. I am partial to frizzles but, you have a gang of cuties. Keep the photos coming.

3. PippyChicken

PippyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2009
    AL
    OMG that is soooo sweet! [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. saylernsaxonsmom

saylernsaxonsmom Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2010
    Petersburg
    Seriously, the cutest thing I've seen all week! Thanks for sharing those adorable pics!

[​IMG]

5. thegoldengirls

thegoldengirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Central NY
    Oh my gosh! How cute!!!
    Thanks so much for sharing and birghtening my day!! [​IMG]

6. Arthur

Arthur Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    wow, thanks for sharing. We have an airdale and a westie. We got 5 chicks delivered this week and I think the westie is going to be the one to give us a hard time. any suggestions on introducing them ?

7. CorporateGranola

CorporateGranola Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    South GA Swamp
    AGH! I think I just had a seizure from a nearly terminal dose of cuteness!

8. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    Aw!!!!
    I dont think our Airedale would do anything like that... but its sure cute to see an airedale who will cuddle with chickies instead of trying to eat them [​IMG]

9. MissJenny

MissJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    OMG -- These are the most adorable pictures I have ever seen. Such a good dear Rummy!!! He and his brood should be on a calendar.

Jenny

10. Hotwings

Hotwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2007
    southwestern Michigan
    Love the pictures. Who would've think of a Airedale would do such a thing! But I geuss each breed can be a exception to the rule.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by