Airlines and carry-on eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BirdBrain, Jan 14, 2010.

1. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    I am going to be flying back from Texas in the spring and I was wondering if you all knew if the airlines let you bring hatching eggs on board? Any care to share their experiences?

2. AkTomboy

AkTomboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    DJ, Alaska
    I got the big NO on that one. When I went to AZ I was hoping to bring some back. I was told by TSA that they are considered a liquid. If I did take them they would have to be cracked open and has to fit under the liquid guide lines. Sorry [​IMG] If you find anything out that says different please let us know I do have a trip to SC and OR comming up [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
  3. lemurchaser

lemurchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    Corvallis, OR
    I emailed the TSA and they never answered that question. I've taken hard boiled eggs, and that's fine, but I don't imagine that helps much.

4. lemurchaser

Apr 11, 2008
    Corvallis, OR
    Quote:The allowed liquid guideline must be stated on the package. For example you can't bring a half empty 4oz tube of tooth paste. I put my liquids in small generic containers and they wouldn't let me take them, because the bottle didn't state the capacity. [​IMG]

5. AkTomboy

Apr 21, 2009
    DJ, Alaska
    Quote:From what I was told and what the TSA site says it has to be under an amount in a clear container and in a clear bag. Here is the TSA link and info

http://www.tsa.gov/311

Make Your Trip Better Using 3-1-1
    3-1-1 for carry-ons = 3.4 ounce (100ml) bottle or less (by volume) ; 1 quart-sized, clear, plastic, zip-top bag; 1 bag per passenger placed in screening bin. One-quart bag per person limits the total liquid volume each traveler can bring. 3.4 ounce (100ml) container size is a security measure.

Consolidate bottles into one bag and X-ray separately to speed screening.

Be prepared. Each time TSA searches a carry-on it slows down the line. Practicing 3-1-1 will ensure a faster and easier checkpoint experience.

3-1-1 is for short trips. If in doubt, put your liquids in checked luggage.

Declare larger liquids. Medications, baby formula and food, and breast milk are allowed in reasonable quantities exceeding three ounces and are not required to be in the zip-top bag. Declare these items for inspection at the checkpoint.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
  6. lemurchaser

Apr 11, 2008
    Corvallis, OR
    Right, but the part they don't say is that the bottle must state that it is less than 3.4 oz. I've had my stuff taken away over this. I imagine if it was really small they might not worry, but I went and got the 100ml nalgene brand bottles (plain plastic) and put shampoo in it, and they wouldn't let it go through because the bottle doesn't say that it is 100ml.

Maybe it's not universal. But that's what I've had happen.

7. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    So I guess I'll have to express mail them back to Akaska the day before I fly since chickens don't lay eggs with the volume stamped on the outside. Rats!!

8. Ban seabhag

Ban seabhag Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2009
    Glenn HWY Alaska
    I sure wish that would be possible Birdbrain [​IMG] I would have tried it myself. Anything to get eggs a better trip up here would be nice, rather than the USPS!

9. AkTomboy

Apr 21, 2009
    DJ, Alaska
    Lemurchaser ~ I have never had any problem with my bottles not being marked. I also called to check on Liquid regs do to a flight I have comming up with my crib midget and will be needing to take diaper cream and such in a different bottle due to the size and color of the normal ones. The TSA agent said that the new bottles do not have to be marked as long as they are easy to tell they are under the amount. The TSA agent even told me to just go to the travel section of any local store and buy the cheapest clear travel bottles and I would be set. The TSA agent I also suggested to print out the rules from TSA and take them with me just incase I have any trouble with unmarked bottles. With the regs not staying they have to be marked for size then they can not take my items as long as I have the regs to prove it. Sorry that they took your stuff from you when you were trying and did do the correct thing.

10. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Couldn't you pack them well and bury them in the middle of your clothes in a checked bag. Save the shipping and they will arrive with you (hopefully).

Imp

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by