Airplane wings?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by veronicasmom, Feb 17, 2012.

1. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/22025386.

Hopefully this will come through. Did anyone ever hear of this? Double airplane wings? Is this angel wing? Can those wings that jut out be clipped. It says she cannot fly, so that is not a problem for me, but just wondered if it would be better for her.
    I REALLY DO NOT NEED ANOTHER DUCK. REALLY. I HAVE 6. But she is pretty. My husband is going to kill me if I even mention it! LOL
    Of course, I could just go get her, then put her in the yard and say she just appeared...................how bad of a lie is that in the karmic universe? He loves the ducks, they were originally his idea. But he thought we'd just have to. This would make #7.
    I am sick. I have an addiction.

2. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    She is a very cool looking duck. I thought is that it is easier to ask forgiveness, than to ask permission. So I would go get the duck. I am the one that brings the critters home, and DH is the one that falls in love. lol

3. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    Yes that's angel wing. Now go get her! [​IMG]

"Better to ask for forgiveness than permission" ... in terms of animals, it's my motto. Though lately my husband has become just as bad as me and we have to tell each other No. We almost had urban goats cause of him. He knows to ask permission in the animal department though. Double standard, for sure.

4. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    You can't clip the angel wing off, it would have needed to have been wrapped when it was first noticed to try and correct it.

1 person likes this.
  5. featherfinder

featherfinder Runner Lover

If she is still young enough and growing cant it still be wrapped and corrected? It says in the posting she is still young. So maybe it can still be fixed?

6. veronicasmom

Aug 31, 2009
    I meant to clip it like I clip the flight feathers on my other muscovies. I didn't mean clip the whole wing off!!
    Only to make it safer for her.
    How old is too old for wrapping? I am assuming she was a few weeks old at the fair, and that fair was the first week of October. So maybe 5 months old.
    If she is old enough to do the wrapping, how involved is it? Can she be with the other ducks when she is wrapped? If nothing is done, is that a problem ever?
    I am really not sure of how receptive hubby will be to another pet. She would be our 20th pet! And that does not count the aquarium fish! LOL
    I will tell him how good muscovies are at bug patrol. Hmmm, we will see...........

7. featherfinder

featherfinder Runner Lover

You can clip the wings like your other scovies.
    I am not sure if that is to old for wrapping or not but personally I would attempt it if she was 5 months just to see if it would help.
    Its not that hard to do. You just wrap the wing in its normal position to the ducks body.
    She can still be with the other ducks to while her wing is wrapped
    If nothing is done other ducks could pick on her and nip at her feathers that is sticking out but other than that i dont not believe it harms the duck at all.
    Good luck with hubby and hope he says yes! She is beautiful!

8. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    It is a big mistake to lie to your spouse. It destroys trust and without trust a relationship isn't going to run well.

If you lie to him then he might decide it is OK to lie to you. Do you really want to spend the rest of your marriage wondering whether he is really working late or just lying about what he is doing?

Bringing a new pet into a family should be a mutual decision, because it is a big issue.

Angel wing can only be corrected at the very onset, when the duckling is first getting it's wing feathers, and before those feathers are full grown. Feathers can be clipped off to make the wing take up less space, but it is the actual bone and muscle of the wing that is turned out and sticking out there.

I'm not saying don't get the duck if you want it. The duck looks strange, but it will get along fine. I'm just saying don't let these other folks harm your marriage by encouraging you to lie to your spouse.

9. veronicasmom

Aug 31, 2009
    Have been with my husband for 24 years! Guess the trust thing is not too bad with us! I think you missed the point of my post, it was said in jest.
    Believe me, he knows me. I could certainly tell him it wandered in the yard, stick to my story and he would go along with it and not believe a word of it and not care. 24 years, I think he knows me pretty well. LOL He loves each of our pets and plays a huge part in their care. He cries with me when we lose them and spends countless hours cleaning, brushing, feeding and watching them. He also pays for them.
    I rescue animals. That is what I do. In those 24 years, I have purchased two goats, all the rest have been rescued, rehomed, adopted, or found. Believe me, I KNOW getting an animal is a big commitment and is not to be taken lightly. We have the space, time and money to care for each and every one properly.
    So, no one is going to "encourage" me to wreck my marriage.

1 person likes this.
  10. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Well said, veronicasmom, sounds as if you and your husband 'have your acts together'. I applaud you. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by