Airsacculitis

pookieslw

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 24, 2010
I think my 8 week old chicks may have this. I had some problems with them failing (listless, lose weight and some die). They never had respiratory symptoms, but so far the only thing that seems to have remotely worked is Duramycin-10. I had also tried Wazine - but never saw any worms.

I have mostly Orps from a hatchery, but I got some mixed chicks from a local breeder at the same time. Initially only the local breeder's birds (but not all of them) came down with it, but over time, it has also affected the hatchery birds.

Questions: Is this the only type of thing that Duramycin would fix? I see all sorts of things saying that birds with this are condemned at processing. Is it likely that I won't be able to eat these birds - will it be obvious at processing (I've never processed before, but could beg a favor from a neighbor who has to examine guts if necessary. What is the danger - why are they condemned? It looks like this is now permanently in my flock?

Help?

Bump

Please? I'm freaking because my whole chicken experience is going down the drain because I was nice to my kids and got them some "pets"!

Sorry I don't know about airsacculitis but will bump you again.
Meanwhile, have you questioned the local breeder to see if they know about it and what they have done?
Also for what it's worth, have you tried basic things to help like electrolytes in their water and/or a little apple cider vinegar in their water? (this can be given to birds who are fine too)
Really sorry you are dealing with this. Hope you don't give up, chickens can be fun, but it is hard if they are sick.

I don't think the symptoms fit the disease. I'd look elsewhere. If you want some good guesses, we need more info. Specifically, I'm curious about:
1. At what age to they start "failing?" What are the first symptoms you notice?
2. What are you feeding?
3. How are they housed? If coop and run, how big? Do they free range?
4. How long have they been out of the brooder and on the ground?
5. Any sign of bloody stool or diarrhea?

If you feel like answering those, you might get some better ideas on how to fix this.

Hi Mother Jean -

I'm same person as the "Puzzle-please help" post - This is just the newest update. It really looks like the Duramycin is doing something....why, I don't know. I'll post an update on my other thread with the improvement. This post was really just about consuming chickens....

Back
Top Bottom