Airway obstruction

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ccrcms, Jan 6, 2011.

1. ccrcms

ccrcms New Egg

Jan 26, 2010
    I thought my rooster had a respiratory infection BUT no one else in the flock became ill. His eyes are clear, he is as active as his breathing allows but the breathing sounds HORRIBLE! I have looked into his mouth and cannot see anything. I have massaged his craw. He chew-swallows alot! He sounds like he has something partially blocking his airway. This has been going on for 10 days and I am stymied! Suggestions? I love this rooster!

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Have you checked him for gape worm? take a qtip and swabb his throat, if anything red looking comes out they could be his problem, check this out and then if thats it google gape worms also if you haven't wormed period this might be in order, http://healthybirds.umb.edu/Diease/Deworming Birds.pdf ... this site won't come up if you click on it so you'll have to type it in.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2011
  3. ccrcms

ccrcms New Egg

Jan 26, 2010
    Thank you for your thought. I did as you suggested and came up empty. This was the first time I had posted on the forum and it will not be the last since the vets in our area do not handle poultry "stuff". I am learning ALOT from all of you! Thanks!
    I decided to bounce some ideas off of my friend last night. She thought....hmmmmm if it is an obstruction it might need a little lubrication to help it on down. So, I mixed olive oil, canned cat food and yogurt together to make a slippery gruel and spoon-fed him. Later that evening I noticed that I could not hear him breathing and thought I had done him ib but when I checked he was quite alive. It is the first time in a week that I have not been able to hear his labored breathing in the next room!! Whatever was going on with him seems to have disappeared.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    That is great! ccrcms! sometimes you just never know. Thats something I think about alot is the chickens picking up stuff off the ground and eating it, especially things we've dropped that seem to disappear in a split second. I know your relieved that it wasn't something too serious. [​IMG]......... I am sorry but did we say [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by