airworthy!

Discussion in 'Geese' started by zzGypsy, Sep 28, 2011.

1. zzGypsy

zzGypsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    so this afternoon I watched as 2 of my three 6 month old brown geese and my 4 month old african goose got full flight!

one of them, maybe the african, must have got it just right because he was 15 feet up and went maybe 40 yds!
    soo cool!
    oh, wait, I don't WANT them flying...
    right....

2. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Cute [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  3. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    Yes its ok for a trial take off run but you dont want them airbourne to the degree that your chasing round the neighbourhood after a fit African [​IMG]

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    This is the season that young geese test their wings. As they bulk up gravity keeps them on the ground. Poor geese. [​IMG]

5. zzGypsy

Aug 8, 2011
    yep, the largest of the brown chinese had just enough lift to skim with his toes dragging... not airworthy.
    <sigh> so if they keep this up, it'll be clip-their-wings time.
    or maybe I just need to feed them more [​IMG]

6. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Mine can barely get their toes off the ground if the wind is just right. If you've got an African getting 15 feet into the air, I think you need to feed him more. He needs that lard butt to keep him on the ground.

I did have one of my young ducks fly past me at eye level. Gave me a good startle.

7. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    Quote:LOL.... I bet it did! My American Buff and Super African are running around the yard flapping hard and making noise. No lift yet but they sure seem to enjoy the jog. Even my Sebbies are giving it a try. Poor things look all tattered..... so funny to watch first thing in the morning. When I open that pen (ducks and geese share) it's as if it's off to the races! Geese go flapping one way and the ducks run and flap another way all yelling in joyous sounds..... LMAO!

8. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    my neighbors were scared of my muscovies once when they deceided to do a flyover over the neighbors house.

9. zzGypsy

Aug 8, 2011
    Quote:the african is less than 4 months old... might be closer to 3... I don't think he's finshed growing yet, he's pretty much the same size as the smallest of the brown chinese - in fact at the moment I'm having a hard time telling them apart. I say "he" but I don't really know...
    anyway, he seems in good condition, body weight wise, but I think we've got some lard-butt development yet to come.

10. erinszoo

erinszoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    North Central Oklahoma
    My 4 month old embden gander gets off the ground enough that he can fly into and out of the turtle pen which has a two foot fence and he can sustain flight for about 15 or 20 feet. Our goose has yet to get off the ground without dragging toes though. Once the gander has done his little flight, he won't even attempt it again until the next day. I'm guessing it kind of wears him out. But it's fun to watch them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by