AKC English Mastiff Christmas puppies!

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by Cason, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Cason

Cason Chillin' With My Peeps

2. GPN

GPN Got Pheasants? Nessia

Aug 6, 2008
    Snead, Alabama
    Handsome Pups~~

3. ArabiansR2Cool

ArabiansR2Cool Chillin' With My Peeps

Mastiffs are a great breed. However, it is very important to do your research before getting the best dog you will ever have.

It is important to have them health tested. This mean having their hips and elbows certified by OFA or PennHip. Having them DNA tested clear of PRA (Progressive Retinal Atrophy). It is also important to have them CERF (Canine Eye Registration Foundation) cleared. Cystanuria, Von Willenbrands Disease, Thyroid, Heart, Patellas are all other health concerns. While there are many potential health problems associated with Mastiffs, health testing greatly diminishes your chance of getting a puppy that willl develop issues. Responsible and reputable breeders will health test all of their dogs as this is the only way to identify and erradicate the diseases from the breed.

Regardless of whether one wants to show or not, correct comformation and breed type are important. AKC papers should always be included with a puppy. The breeder can check either full registration (breeding and showing privlages) of limited registration (no breeding and no conformation showing). The papers are the heritage that belongs to that individual dog.

There are many wonderful people and places to learn about this great breed. First and foremost is the parent club, the Mastiff Club Of America (http://mastiff.org/).

There are two wonderful forums that many of the top breeders are members of and post regularly. If you take the time to learn from them, it will be an endless source of information and knowledge. The 2 forums are the Mastiff Message Board (http://mastiffs.org/) and the Mastiff Sweet Spot (http://www.websitetoolbox.com/mb/acslinda)

Again, Mastiffs are truely a wonderful breed, but it is important to educate yourself about the breed before jumping in.

4. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    Awwww! if I could afford the food and had the money, I would take them all. [​IMG] (Yes, I know how big they get)

Last edited: Dec 2, 2008
  5. horsechick

horsechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2007
    Eaton, Ohio
    Back when I raised them "reverse" brindles (don't know where that came from.) were called fawn brindles.........Wasn't a rare color then.
    And I tested all mine Ar2C.

Are these from tested parents?
    Thanks

Last edited: Dec 2, 2008
  6. Cason

Cason Chillin' With My Peeps

Is that the one you're interested in? You can email her at [email protected]
    I'll tell her you'll be contacting her!

7. horsechick

horsechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2007
    Eaton, Ohio
    Hi,
    I'll have to go back and look at the website and try to find their testing information and pedigrees.
    Are they listed there?
    Thanks,
    Angela

8. ArabiansR2Cool

ArabiansR2Cool Chillin' With My Peeps

horsechick, based on what I saw on the website, I'm going to guess no. Based on a different post I don't think they are health tested.

9. chickenlady

chickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
    It says they give health guarantee to 2 years old. Also, she is selling them on a limited registration which I think is fantastic!! I did not see the pedigrees listed on the site however, it seems that she is doing things the right way. Nice pups!!

10. TubbyChicken

TubbyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Kentucky
    Quote:Any health guarantee is better than none...However, dysplastic hips are often concealed until 2 yrs of age (which of course, is when this guarantee expires) OFA hip clearances can not be given until that age either. Mastiffs, being a large breed, grow much slower than the average sized breed, therefore hip dysplasia can show up even later. Health testing is so important in all breeds but particularly so for breeds such as the Mastiff.

There are several things to consider when purchasing a dog from a breeder.

What is the breeders goal ultimate goal? (To better the breed? If so, how is that particular pairing of animals improving the quality of confirmation and temperament in the breed?) If the breeder is producing puppies without properly testing the parents, (which should include, hips, hearts, eyes, among others) and without having a platform for comparative judging against breed or working standard, then you should assume that the purpose in breeding the animals is to profit...and when profiting is involved your aiding the millions of back yard breeders who contribute to the severe problem of pet overpopulation. Breeders who complete the proper health testing and pursue avenues of competition to properly evaluate their dog's worthiness of genetic contribution typically profit very little from the sale of their pups and are very selective when finding homes (very often these breeders will not ship puppies). If the breeder was producing a litter to have or sell "Christmas puppies" then you can bet they are making a great deal of "Christmas money" without ensuring the pet you purchase is sound in temperament and health.

Are the parents tested, and how far in the pedigree can proof of genetic and health testing be documented? Genetic abnormalities can be passed on through generations of poor breeding practice.

How often are their dogs being bred? (Breeding too often is bad for the mental and physical health of a dog. Breeding before 2 yrs. is harmful physically and prevents the breeder from properly evaluating the breeding stock as large breed dogs are not physically mature until 2 yrs.)

What is the guarantee? (Most health problems show up after 2 yrs. of age, when the contract expires...if this doesn't seem like a big deal to you, ask someone who has experienced the pain of losing a young animal to a genetic illness.

I hope this provides some insight. There is so much to consider when purchasing a puppy. There are millions of homeless pets, many of which are purebred and can be purchased from a reputable shelter or rescue at a fraction of a breeder's price and including full vetting and spay/neuter.

However, purchasing from an ethical breeder is smart, and contributing to educated breeders is a wise way to spend your money when shopping for a pet.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by