1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Akk! Chicken Emergency!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by emily, Apr 28, 2007.

1. emily

emily New Egg

Apr 28, 2007
    My Barred Rock hen has been sitting in her nesting box for two days straight! I put water, plain yogurt, and food infront of her. I even forced her to eat some garlic because I heard that can help them. I don't know what else to do- when i picked her up, all of her feathers on her belly were gone. Please help! This is my last hope

thank you

Last edited: Apr 28, 2007
  2. hencackle

hencackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Telford, TN
    I think your hen is broody. When you reached into the nest box to pick her up, did her feathers stand up, did she growl?

A broody hen plucks out belly feathers so that the exposed skin is in direct contact with the eggs. She will show little interest in food and water; only leaving the nest once a day to poop and dust bathe. The size of that one poop will be huge and smell to high heaven!

Stephanie

3. mudhen

mudhen confidently clueless

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    I agree, it sounds like she is broody. Has she been laying?
    Do you have fertilized eggs you want to hatch?

4. emily

emily New Egg

Apr 28, 2007
    no, i don't have a rooster- When will she get off the nest?

5. hencackle

hencackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Telford, TN
    It varies....one of my broody hens gave up after one week while another one was broody for a little over a month.
    Stephanie

6. allen wranch

allen wranch Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    San Marcos, TX
    I agree, it sounds like she is broody.

It will not hurt her to sit as she will come out to poop, drink and eat a couple of times a day. If you don't want her to sit, which makes sense if you have no fertile eggs to hatch, you can try several things to make her stop.

The most drastic, which I don't recommend, it to put her in a cage with a wire bottom and no place to hunker down and get comfortable. You can also pick her up each time you go to the coop and put her out of the box. Place her in a location away from the box.

Some hens are just determined, and you have to wait it out with them. After 3-4 weeks and no little peeps, they get the hint.

Good luck !

7. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

Dec 26, 2006
    California - SF East Bay
    I've got a Buff Orpington and a Delaware that are both broody. Driving me (and the other hens) crazy.

I take them off the nest every chance I get, but I think I may be moving to something more drastic as I can't let egg production drop by 30% [​IMG]

8. allen wranch

allen wranch Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    San Marcos, TX
    I had a broody that I was letting sit on eggs. I moved her and the eggs to a private pen so the babies could hatch, and she wouldn't stay on the nest ! She kept pacing to get back to "her" nest box. Not saying it will work with your birds, but it is worth a try.

9. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

Dec 26, 2006
    California - SF East Bay
    Good suggestion. I may just lock the two of them into the run (with food / water but no nesting box) and see if that helps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by