1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Alabama Storm

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Rosto, Apr 30, 2011.

1. Rosto

Rosto Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2010
    How is all my fellow BYC friends? I have been worried for all of you! We are ok. Shellshocked, but ok. I'm in Blountsville, Alabama. My town and community are hard hit! Miraculously, no human fatalities that I have heard. Most of us have fallen or uprooted trees. Two of my neighbors sustained serious home damage and were trapped in their houses for a few hours. My parents have property damage and all their phone and telephone wires are now in thier driveway or accross thier yard. Mm daddy and BIL worked for several hours with chainsaws to open a path to our neighborhood. It took my sister over three hourse to make what ususally takes twenty minutes home from work. We don't have power, many are without phone services, and cell services are iffy. Thankfully, a friend brought me her generator last night so that we could save the food in our freezer. We have already lost all our food in the refridgerator. I lost three of my baby cochins when my coop was blown over. Which makes me cry insisde. I'm so grateful to be here and ok. I'm blessed to have a great family and many old and new friends.

I also attend the University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa which looks like a war zone. There are still over a hundred students and faculty members missing, so please include those families in your prayers. Thanks to all of you for your kind thoughts and especially your prayers in this trying time.
    Amy Myrick

2. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    [​IMG] I am so sorry for your losses. Hang in there, things will get better.

3. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    Those same storms came through where I live. We were blessed to have not had a tornado.....but I could have seen it happen with the strength of these storms.

The entire South is in my prayers. Praying for a speedy recovery for the Southern states hit by these storms!

4. Larkspur88

Larkspur88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    South Carolina
    I'm in SC and we too got storms, but nothing in comparison, but we still got tornadoes!

5. AuntieE

AuntieE Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Philipsburg, PA
    I'm sorry for your losses- but grateful that you and your family are OK!

I can't imagine going through a disaster like that~
    Thoughts and prayers go out for you and those that were involved. [​IMG]

6. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    Glad that you are okay sorry about your chicks. I hope everyone in your area can make a quick recovery from this.

7. Sorry about your losses... [​IMG]

I live near B'ham, and the college near Legion Field (if you know what I'm talking about.) has a tree down. But highway 78, they say it's a wreck. Haven't been that way yet tho...

8. pmstumpe

pmstumpe New Egg

May 1, 2011
    Live in Florence, Al. Those storms just missed us. We have trees down but nothing major. Was without power but back on.

9. RustyHen

RustyHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Echo, Oregon
    All of you Southern state BYC's have been in our prayers for the last week or two.
    sorry about your chick loss.

10. Rosto

Rosto Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2010
    Thanks so much for your prayers! They are surely needed here in Alabama. I feel so bad that I'm ok, when there are so many people in my community and state that have lost everything. It's really hard to drive by total disaster every day on my way to work when I get to go back to my home intact.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by