ALABAMA what can we do?

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by rancher hicks, Apr 28, 2011.

1. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    It's one thing to watch the terror on TV and I'm sure many who've lost everything need help. What I'd like to know is what can we do?

The USPS will still be operating I expect so what can we do?

In regards to those who may have lost livestock , your chickens , what ever. What can we do to help?

Some of my ideas are. If they've lost chickens , I can send hatching eggs when the time comes. I can send chicks when you are ready. Perhaps a used incubator would help someone down there hatch chicks for friends or neighbors when they are ready to start over. Maybe some one just needs to replace feed. I'm not sure what it cost to send 50# but maybe we can figure that out.

Clothing? Food?

What can we do?

If there is someone here from a church that has an address that I can send things to so it can be distributed.

Certainly there are plenty of us chickens people who can help our fellow chicken people.

2. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    Maybe the Red Cross would have info on their website?

3. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    There are somethings the red cross can't do. I would like to make this personal, then it really means something. For every dollar you send the Red Cross they might get 50 cents. I'd rather get up off the couch and go to the PO and send them the entire dollar.

These are our chicken people and I believe it we should do something for our own if we can. There are somethings that I just believe are our responsibility. These people are our friends.

"Everybody" says , "Somebody" aught to do something but "Nobody" does it and nothing gets done.

And besides I doubt the Red Cross cares about their chickens like we do.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2011
  4. Razadia

Razadia The Odd One

Apr 7, 2011
    Montgomery, Alabama
    If anyone happens to have an incubator that works decent, I'd love to get it. We found out this afternoon that the shed we were keeping the incubator in got flooded out. Dad trashed it and wouldn't let me try to fix it. [​IMG]

Put me at the very bottom of the list if you do at all. I know there are lots of others that got far worst damage then a hole in a shed roof. When Enterprise was hit a couple years back the community raised most of the money. Red Cross didn't do too great of a job.

[​IMG] My grammar is horrible today.

5. Candiss

Candiss Burdette Bantams

Jun 30, 2010
    Alabama
    I dont know of anyone right now that is needing anything chicken related but if I do hear of anyone, I will get with you. It is a terrible situation, there is a chicken auction in Eclectic AL that a tornado hit right next to the auction building and 7 people have been found dead so far, I believe most have been children. This is a small community, and not everyone has alot but would do anything and everything for one another. Thank you for thinking about the people here. We always hear about the bad things that go on in this crazy world but there are some amazing people that are compassionate. Take care.

Candace

6. mulewagon

mulewagon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2010
    Alabama
    We're taking a load to the Baptist Mission tomorrow - the tornadoes went all around us, we were very fortunate! They said the biggest immediate need is for water and non-perishable food. After that, since so many people lost everything, I suppose it would be clothes, housewares, etc.

Here is an article from the Birmingham News, with contact info for the local relief efforts:
    http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2011/04/alabama_tornadoes_how_you_can.html

7. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

We were hit here in Mississippi too, but not as bad. I don't have much, but can donate as many hatching eggs as I've got to anyone to help them out.

Thanks for starting this thread.

8. motoclown

motoclown Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2010
    New Castle, PA
  9. Kelly G

Kelly G It's like herding cats!

I, too, can send fertile eggs. I'd be glad to send them to anyone who lost chickens due to the tornados.

We sent a donation today to the RedCross....but I'd be thrilled to help someone out with something the RedCross can't provide!

I will subscribe to this thread to keep an eye open.

They may not need eggs now, but maybe in a few weeks/months.

10. lil'turkeymama

lil'turkeymama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2010
    Alabama
    I wanted to say thanks for thinking of my beloved Alabama.We were very lucky here at our home with no damage.We heard the tornado when it went over us.There are still several areas without power.Right now they are saying they have plenty of volunteers but need basics such as water,non-perishable food,diapers,tarps,batteries.My local paper had this today

"Volunteer or donate money by calling Governor's Office of Faith-Based and Community Initiatives at 1-877-273-5018 or online at www.servealabama.gov.

We have found lots of pictures and personal items from Mississippi and south Alabama.A friend has started a facebook page about it.I found some items from a church from MS.I have learned today that it is totally wiped out.They want the items back and I will be mailing them in a day or two.My friend had already been interveiwed by CNN and will be on Good Morning America Monday morning.I think there are over 600 items/pictures posted that have been found.Some have really sad stories.I can tell you I watched the weather channel all day,listened to the sirens and just waited for it to hit all day.It was awful.It wasn't until the next day that the news started showing the damage....a lot of damage.I was 7 years old in 1974 when we were hit with similar storms.I remember it being bad but nothing like now.

I will donate eggs or chicks too but right now I don't think anyone is ready for them when so many lost everything they owned.Alabama is my home and will always be,I'll be here to help my neighbors anyway I can.Again,Thanks for the thoughts and prayers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by