Alaska 4H birds?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by TurkeyDaLurkey, Jan 9, 2014.

1. TurkeyDaLurkey

TurkeyDaLurkey New Egg

Dec 4, 2013
    Hi, i live in alaska (yes people really live here and we have internet, heating, bacon etc.) and our family is involved in a local 4H group. We were looking for an easy to manage bird to enter for 4H. We were looking to do either a large rooster or a tom turkey. what breeds should we try and what special care for 4H should we provide it with, as in does it need washing or anything special to promote health? PS would like to be a family friendly and docile breed thnnx! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. fintuckyfarms

fintuckyfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2013
    Finley WA
    Bronze turkeys are pretty cold hearty but if this is you first year showing you should start with something much smaller like a Bantum. I have heard the old English breed is very tame and easy to train for showing. Yes they will need some sort of cleaning and some people do put them in a tub an bathe them. You should be able to find a video on YouTube. Showing tips. Handle you bird everyday, teach them to stay, study anatomy, feather parts and diseases because part of showing is knowledge. You never said how old you are but the questions get harded as you get older.

3. TurkeyDaLurkey

TurkeyDaLurkey New Egg

Dec 4, 2013
    Old English Bantam, those ones that are pretty much chickens on stilts? I will look for those, any other suggestions? [​IMG]

4. RockerHen

RockerHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Chappells, SC
    You're thinking of modern game bantams. Old English game bantams are pretty short legged. Silkie bantams are also very docile birds which are easy to handle. They tolerate bathing/ blowdrying well and are popular show birds.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by