Alaska Chix Mom starting all over again!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by alaska chix mom, Oct 16, 2014.

1. alaska chix mom

alaska chix mom New Egg

Oct 13, 2014
    I've raised barred rock, black australorps, and even some meat birds, when my children were small. Now that everyone is on their own... I find myself easily talked into a "chicken project"! My duplex neighbor and myself ordered up 6 pullets from Murray McMurray Hatchery. This is border-line insanity if you think about it... We are already reaching freezing temps, Our men are not happy, but are bundled up and reluctantly building the coop.
    My husband tweaked his back moving 12x12 beams for the project, so I will be insulating the coop with styro sheets and tar paper,

Two of the birds should be here today! "Tracy", a golden crested top hatter, and "Patricia",a black star, arrive first, to follow on the 21st is "Heika"a Newhampshire red, and "Helene" a buff orpington. Then, on the 4th of November two more pullets arrive, "Judy-Jo", a black australorp, and "Megs" a delaware. I was surprised to find that adult birds are now being shipped. I hope all the introductions go well in our new establishment. We already have named them after ourselves and friends by haircolor (I have been a hairdresser for 30 years!).

With each new set of birds....
    I plan on re-arranging the interior of the coop, and offer treats, fresh distractions... all to make it seem like a party for more chickens!!?!

I know "Bullying" has been outlawed.... But this is Alaska... being "COOPED UP" brings out the worse in all of us!
    Stay warm my new friends!

Megs ( the delaware!), aka... Alaska Chix Mom!

2. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG]

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Good luck with the coop build, hope the weather warms up at least a little! Hope your new flocks all arrive safely!

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Good luck with all your new birds and we do welcome you to our flock!

Stay warm this winter!! :)

Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
  5. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG]

So glad you joined us. You have a better chance acclimating pullets, babies would be more of a challenge. I certainly don't envy you weather. Good luck. Hope your adventure works out.

6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. I'm sorry to hear that your husband tweaked his back and hope he recovers soon. We have visited Alaska on a number of occasions and love it there. You're putting together a really nice mixed flock. Black Star is one of several labels under which some hatcheries market their Black Sex Links (including Murray McMurray) and they are egg laying machines. I've raised them for years and they have been my best layers, consistently churning out more than 300 eggs per hen per year (they lay well in cold winter weather as well; a plus for Alaska). Black Australorps are my favorite standard breed; extremely hardy, calm and gentle (my children, and now my granddaughter, made lap pets of ours), and excellent layers of large, brown eggs. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock and in getting your coop built.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]If you go to "where am I, where are you," in the social forum you can locate and post on the Alaskan thread. Then you can find out what others in the area are up to. We have a very knowledgeable member "Alaskan," Maybe you will run across him.

8. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
  9. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

I hope all your hens arrive safely!

10. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Good luck with your hens!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by