Alaska Forest Fire!!!!!!!!!!! Prayers please/update

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by PaulaJoAnne, May 26, 2010.

1. PaulaJoAnne

PaulaJoAnne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Blogger friends of ours near Fairbanks, are evacuating right now. A fire is just 2 miles from their home.

Its going to be a hot dry summer up here, from the looks of things. Not good [​IMG]

Update...
    They did not have to leave right away. Wind helped for awhile.
    But they have now been given 2 hours to get out.
    They have to leave behind their chickens and geese [​IMG]

Latest update-Sunday Morning! Good news for now!
    http://simplelivingak.wordpress.com/2010/05/30/

Meanwhile we do have fires near us, though they pose no threat.
    We were treated to the sound of sirens for several hours last night though.
    Thinking about actually putting together bug out bags, etc., for just in case.

Last edited: May 30, 2010
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Wow, that is close! Hope everyone makes it okay. [​IMG]

3. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Chickaloon, Alaska
    GAH!! Not again!! I have a friend that's a firefighter and every season he's GONE for months at a time.

What was it, about 3-4 years ago we burned almost 6 MILLION acres here in Alaska?

Bright blessings to ALL in the fire zone!!

4. NancyinAlaska

NancyinAlaska Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2009
    Willow Alaska
    Hope it pours down rain this weekend, I live in Caswell and too many folks come camping out here in this area, for the holiday, and FORGET to make sure their campfires are out, one fire about 4 yrs ago was because some "weekenders" dumped the charcoal out of their grill, and it wasn't out, you'd think after the Millers Reach fire, Houston wouldn't be allowed to sell fireworks, even though the ONLY place it's legal to use them is in city of Houston city limits, I don't think they tell their customers that, and anyway, there is NO ENFORCEMENT of the law, State Troopers can't do anything because it's not a state law, and since we have no Borough cops............... guess Houston needs $$ for their Animal Control office so they don't have to shoot anymore dogs............................, especially when fire danger is high, the firework stands should not be allowed to sell fireworks. I ALWAYS pray for heavy rain on holidays in the summer. OH WELL.........................................I got carried away on the subject.

Yes it's a dry one, not much snow this past winter either, so it's REALLY dry. Remember the Susitna fire 3 summers ago? That was TOO close.

My prayers go out to the people up there, and to all of the animals, big and small that will suffer and die due to the fires in Alaska this summer, I pray that our area stays safe and fire free. The sky is so beautiful when it's clear, the mountains are out and it's a tourists dream.................. but it needs to cloud up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. PaulaJoAnne

Jul 30, 2009
    Yes. I prefer summers where it rains at night, and is sunny all day.

I think it was 04 or 05 when we had it real bad. The air all over Alaska was thick and yellow:sick

I am thankful for our artisan well, so I can keep the garden watered.
    Parks Highway streams are extremely low. Does not bode well for spawning, even it escapements are ok.

6. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

OH NO!!! Everyone is in my prayers. I remember all too well what it felt like last year to be able to see the flames from my porch.

7. Wolfwoman

May 5, 2010
    Chickaloon, Alaska
    Hubby and I are on the volunteer Fire Dept for Chickaloon and a few years back there was a fire that crossed the road about 3 miles south of us. The road was blocked off for about 8+ hours that day. Thanks goodness it wasn't windy that day as the wind normally blows upriver here!

8. PaulaJoAnne

Jul 30, 2009
    Update in post 1!!!

9. Wolfwoman

May 5, 2010
    Chickaloon, Alaska
    Oh boy... I hope all goes well!!

If you guys had to leave your birds behind, would you just let them free to fend for themselves? I couldn't bear the thought of leaving them in a pen or coop!!

Dogs would go WITH me!!

10. PaulaJoAnne

Jul 30, 2009
    Quote:I would let them free.
    All babies with mommies would go with me though, no matter what.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by