Alaska June Hatch along!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by PandoraTaylor, Jun 20, 2010.

1. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
  2. Alaska animal lover

Alaska animal lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    Palmer, Alaska
    I'll be setting some BCMs next week! Can't wait!
    Good luck Pandora!

3. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Chickaloon, Alaska
    [​IMG]

4. Ban seabhag

Ban seabhag Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2009
    Glenn HWY Alaska
    I have duck eggs coming in and a few cochins.

5. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    Hatching out some salmon Faverolle eggs I brought back from Michigan - 5 of 7 hatched so far. D'Uccles due to hatch next Sunday. Had RIR banties hatch last week with quail and guineas the first week of Jun.

6. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Yay Aimee! [​IMG] Good luck! [​IMG]
    Donna, they're going out tomorrow on the afternoon truck. [​IMG]

I'm heartbroken this evening, now that the anger has died down. I had two broody silkies in the back of the silkie pen, and I gave them a mix of eggs to hatch. BCMs, Dorkings, a couple of their own eggs... one by one I pulled them out until there were two BCMs and a Dorking left. I walked into the coop this afternoon, and saw one of the other silkies pecking at something in the back of the pen... it was a Marans chick!!! [​IMG] It had hatched sometime today, and I hope to God it was already dead when she started in on it. [​IMG] The other hatched too, but was still under mom, but I couldn't take the risk of the others being killed too, so I moved them all indoors under my Orpington broody. I lost the SG Dorking, too... it was partially zipped when I moved it, and I think I may have chilled it. [​IMG] So one BCM chick, and maybe a silkie will still hatch. I dunno. The Orpington's eggs aren't due for another 3 days yet...

7. Ban seabhag

Nov 28, 2009
    Glenn HWY Alaska
    Quote:Oh I like my Favs. Are these your first ones?

8. Ban seabhag

Nov 28, 2009
    Glenn HWY Alaska
    Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain :

I'm heartbroken this evening, now that the anger has died down. I had two broody silkies in the back of the silkie pen, and I gave them a mix of eggs to hatch. BCMs, Dorkings, a couple of their own eggs... one by one I pulled them out until there were two BCMs and a Dorking left. I walked into the coop this afternoon, and saw one of the other silkies pecking at something in the back of the pen... it was a Marans chick!!! [​IMG] It had hatched sometime today, and I hope to God it was already dead when she started in on it. [​IMG] The other hatched too, but was still under mom, but I couldn't take the risk of the others being killed too, so I moved them all indoors under my Orpington broody. I lost the SG Dorking, too... it was partially zipped when I moved it, and I think I may have chilled it. [​IMG] So one BCM chick, and maybe a silkie will still hatch. I dunno. The Orpington's eggs aren't due for another 3 days yet...

Oh Tori that's awful! [​IMG] I know how much work you go through for your Dorkings too.​

Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  9. Alaska animal lover

Alaska animal lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    Palmer, Alaska
    Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain :

[​IMG] I'm sorry T.
    [​IMG] for your BCM, Silkie and Orps!​

10. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    Quote:I've had them before but that was years ago. When I went back to Michigan last month, I saw my mom's beautiful roo and hen. I talked her out of all of the eggs that were laid for the remainder of the time I was there. I'm hoping these last two hatch. I know when I candled a couple of weeks ago they were growing. If I don't have any pips by tomorrow night, I'll candle them and see what's going on. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by