Alaska Junior Chickens' First Snow!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by frostbite, Sep 30, 2012.

1. frostbite

frostbite Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2011
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Just a light dusting on everything, they came out of the coop like they were in charge of the world, and discovered the ramp was slippery! The rooster in his manliness took charge, and was surprised at how much faster he slid down the slide than he expected, squawking all the way, through a small cluster of hens who had managed to temporarily find some traction. They are now all safely out of the chute, looking for scratch amongst the snow and the leaves.

2. ladychicken&Ducklover

ladychicken&Ducklover Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2011
    Champion, Michigan
    [​IMG][​IMG]Been there ..lol
    Last winter was my girls' and boys' first winter, and I know you understand that we measure Our snow in feet, not inches.LOL

The funniest thing that ever happened regarding the snow, was last December. We had a break between blizzards and my son and I went out to the coop and runs to let this one flock that has the World's Most Stressed Out White Crested Black Polish Roo as their fearless leader..( Uh hmmm. ) ( Clears throat)..lol

We opened their door and out flew the Roo's favorite girl, a Leghorn. She landed on top of a 4 ft high snow pile that was powder.

My son and I laughed as she got herself right out of it and went under the overhang .

Now here comes " Fearless Leader" full flight. He promptly lands in the same pile, but promptly SUNK.[​IMG]

All you could see of him was his Poofy " Hair" , wattles and beak.!

OMG, he "attempted" several times to get out of it, then he just looked up at us as if to say " OK, I give up, GET ME OUTTA HERE, ITS COLD"

He calmly let my son pick him up and he ran back into his coop to sit under their heat lamp.

We had the best laugh at his expense , of course.[​IMG]

3. frostbite

frostbite Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2011
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    "World's Most Stressed Out White Crested Black Polish Roo" is a GREAT name for a rooster!

Too much fun....

So how do people in tropical climates with no snow ever have any fun at all?

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by