Alaska volcano disrupting chick sales here.UPDATE!!! GOT EM PICS!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by RlgNorth, Apr 6, 2009.

1. RlgNorth

RlgNorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    North Pole, ALASKA
    I called my local feed store yesterday becuase I was concerned about the volcano. Turns out their personal shipment that they sell in the store dind't make it!! they all died [​IMG] I have a shipment of 25 coming on the 16th and they warned me I might not get them,but they are trying to divert the shipment straight to fairbanks instead of ancorage. If they do however go through ancorage they are goign to keep them for an extra day to make sure they are ok and extend the time frame I have for them to replace them if they get sick. I am just soo sad for all those babies chicks. And really makes me wonder how the volcano is affecting them im guesses it is all the ash in the air on that side of the state. We have been very lucky to wear it hasn't hit us. Kind of bummed I might not get my chicks on the day I thought.

Well....I finally got my chicks!!! They all look lively and healthy!!!Feed store said I got lucky cause it was the first shipment that has gone GOOD. YAY!!!! Take a look at my set up and tell me what ya think. I hope I did everything Im pretty sure I did.

10 Buff Orp.. 10 RIR 5 Cornish-slow growing
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This my set up for about a week then the Ducks and Turkeys will go into bigger area and the chicks will have the whole big set up.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 16, 2009
  2. SoJoChickens

SoJoChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Fountain Green, UT
    Sad story. I hope your babies arrive safe and sound. [​IMG]

3. Schroeder

Schroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2008
    Central Indiana
    My Coop
    I always enjoy hearing from our Alaska forum members. Its as if from another world. Please consider creating your own page so we can see what your set up and location is like.

4. bethandjoeync

bethandjoeync Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Iron Station, NC
    yes it does seem like alaska is a whole other world away from us in the lower 48. I hope you stay safe and you get your chicks. wonder if the pressure in the atmosphere is what bothers them? does that change around volcanos? my guess would be the ash and any gases that might be in the air. I hope they arrive safe, and well [​IMG] good luck, and update us if anything happens!!

5. RlgNorth

Mar 18, 2009
    North Pole, ALASKA
    Little update: This is the week I am supposed to get them.... however the feed store said they will not call till they are there and chances are not looking soo good [​IMG] I guess they are a month behind on orders because of the volcano grrrrrr. I am being patient though I know they will come sooner or later and maybe a good thing cause the coop isn't done yet and at this rate it will be done before they are rdy to go outside YAY!! In the meantime I have turkeys and ducks to keep me occupied hehe.

6. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    I hope they make it ok... [​IMG] I'm holding my breath, too... waiting for 50 meat birds this week, and 100 pheasant eggs next week if she doesn't blow. [​IMG]. We've only had a slight dusting of ash, nothing like Homer got, though. Thank goodness. I don't have room to bring in all the birds anymore!!

7. backpack09

backpack09 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2009
    Whitman, MA
    Ha, North Pole Alaska !

Drove through there a couple times back in my Boy Scouting days. What interesting tourist traps you guys have up there [​IMG]

8. RlgNorth

Mar 18, 2009
    North Pole, ALASKA
    Just bumping up so you can see update [​IMG]

9. Bantam Bodon

Bantam Bodon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    Osceola Mills PA
    My sister is from North Pole, im from Fairbanks. My dad had chickens up there too....NHR's from what i remember him telling me.

10. deerhunterblp

deerhunterblp Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2009
    Batesville, Arkansas
    Are the turkeys hard to raise? I'm going to be getting 6 in a few weeks and haven't raised any before.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by