Alaska!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by WestfarthingHomestead, Jul 10, 2011.

1. WestfarthingHomestead

WestfarthingHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Alaska
    [​IMG] Good morning, Fellow Chickie-Poo Lovers!

I'm so excited to be here. We've rented so long in order to build up my husband's career. Now, we're finally going to buy our own home, which means we can have furry and feathery animals at last. I want two dogs, two cats, and about a bazillion CHICKENS! And also ducks. And guinea fowl. Oh, and maybe a couple of Geese. And one of my daughters is obsessed with Bunny Wabbits.

For my fellow Alaskans, we're probably going to buy our home in the Matsu Valley somewhere, although we're looking at Soldotna too. We have four children. I stay home and homeschool half of them and my husband's an airline pilot.

I want about 20 Rhode Island Reds, 10 Buff Orpingtons, and 5 Silkies for pets. I like Mallards for the ducks and Pilgrims for the geese and any kind of grayish guinea fowl. I should probably hold off on the geese and guinea fowl until my children are a little older, since they can be a little agressive.

So, around here I can say I lay awake imagining how to build the perfect chicken coop and not get laughed at, right?[​IMG]

2. Cadjien_De_Louisiane

Cadjien_De_Louisiane SWLA Gamefowl Breeder

Apr 18, 2011
    Welsh, LA
    Thats right I do the same thing, I lay and bed trying to think of what to build next.. lol Hello [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

4. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    A big Texas-sized [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    Hello and [​IMG]

6. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. [​IMG]

7. chi-rn

chi-rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    [​IMG]

8. MSDeb

MSDeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC, glad you joined.

9. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. It's very true that there are some breeds that are aggressive, but some are friendlier. We have 6 Toulouse & 1 Pilgrim & they're very calm. The Pilgrim was actually a house goose until a couple of weeks ago, & the Toulouse follow me everywhere when I'm outside. On the other hand, we had White Chinese geese years ago, & they were, of course, extremely agressive. Our guineas aren't aggressive at all, in fact, some of them stay as far away from us as possible. But there are a couple that like to come up & eat treats out of my hand. They can be bullies with the chickens sometimes, though.

Good luck & I hope it's not long before you can have a little menagerie [​IMG]

10. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Welcome... from Sterling, near Soldotna. [​IMG]
    There are a LOT of Mat-Su chicken people on here, and we have a FB page, too... Alaska Farm & Food.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by