Albino Mallard Duck?????

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by austinhart123, May 19, 2008.

1. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    Every year in spring, infront of a pappa johns next to a resturaunt that we go to, there are a pair of mallards sitting in the grass. well this year there are three and one is white. ive heard people around here talking about them so i was wondering if it is?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 20, 2008
  2. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    That is most likely a dumped duck that joined up. I have a white call cross that is about that size.

3. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    There are people breeding white mallards out there. Its bill is long and slender like other mallards but it is white and the bill is too orange like a call. I am going to agree with Terrie and say its a call x mallard cross, it has a shorter and fatter neck than the others and calls can fly well so it will move with them.

4. fowltemptress

fowltemptress Frugal Fan Club President

Jan 20, 2008
    Grr . . . I hate it when people just dump ducks like that. It is so thoughtless.

5. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    OOOHHH!!!
    i was just asking, and i saw it fly=)
    not that it matters, but i couldnt tell if it was a male or female...because it had a tail like a female, but a soft quack like a male

Last edited: May 19, 2008
  6. Tutter

Tutter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    N. California
    Were the mallards pets at one time, do you know?

I've never seen mallards in Chatsworth! Maybe whoever had the mallards, put the white one there, too? How interesting. Since they've been there for so long, I have to guess they are being fed?

7. SueNH

SueNH Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2007
    Last year, before my mink attack I had a flock of ducks that were Pekin/mallard mix. I also had a pair of fawn and white runners that weren't real bowling pin straight. I would regularly be visited by a wild mallard drake while his wife was setting someplace nearby. Hatched a few eggs and one of the ducks was white but could fly. The original mutts could fly a bit, maybe get about 10 feet high before coming back down slowly. The resulting duckling was full flighted but hung around. I really don't know if the egg was from the runner hen or one of the crosses. The crosses were quit a range of colors.

8. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    are the mallards wild are domestic???

9. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    I had an all white ducklings come out of my Appleyards this year. I'm not sure if it's albino or it's some recessive gene.

10. Cheekon

Cheekon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    NY
    It has a different color bill then the others. I don't know anything about ducks so dose it mean hes from a different species?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by