Albino Quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Adri_San27, Oct 5, 2009.

1. Adri_San27

Adri_San27 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2009
    Pullman, WA
    Anyone know anything about albino coturnix? I got her at a quail farm. She doesn't have red eyes, but is all white. The employess get about 1 in 10,000 white chicks, when all of the parent birds are brown.

Anyone know the exact odds of getting an albino, or if it would be possible to start a line of albino quails?

2. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

I'm not sure if true albinos exist in the poultry world. I've seen mallards on eBay mistakenly marketed as albinos. I know when I used to breed bearded dragons that I had hypomelanistic and leucistic dragons which were white with clear fingernails. Those dragons had golden eyes. I know there are a few people working on true albino beardies but the survivability of those hatchlings has been 0%

3. lagpmgdsls

lagpmgdsls Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    what you have is a Texas A&M coturnix quail.....quite common actually.

4. Adri_San27

Sep 13, 2009
    Pullman, WA
    I don't think it's a Texas A&M... I actually have one of those, this new bird doesn't have the characteristic black smudges on the head. Not to mention I got this from a quail farm that exclusively breeds the standard brown coturnix. They hatch roughly 3000 chicks every week and only every couple weeks there's a white one mixed in. They usually cull them as uniformity is desired from their clients, so they're not allowed to breed into the mix.

5. Highland Moongazer

Highland Moongazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2009
    Marshall, NC
    Sounds like their parent stock has mixed genetics some place along the line.

One of my A&Ms hatched with no spots, and a few only have a feather or two that are normal colored. I think Monarc was trying to breed out the spots there for a while, too... not sure.

6. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    There was albino coturnix(pink eyes) back in the late 60s. Not sure if any are still around, the other whites were english white.

7. Adri_San27

Sep 13, 2009
    Pullman, WA
    Wow that's kind of disappointing to hear that my quail isn't special! I've been going every Monday to the quail farm for weeks now on hatching days, looking for a white chick. Does anyone know what happened to the real (pink-eyed) albinos??

8. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    I had a few back then, Marsh Farms was sold I think. The true albino, fell away because the english white were easier to raise.

I sold out of all mine, back in the 70s.

9. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:NO WHAT YOU HAVE IS AN ENGLISH WHITE.... ALBINOS LACK ALL PIGMENT AND THEREFORE HAVE RED/ PINK EYES...

10. Ironsun

Ironsun Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2009
    Cumbria
    Hi,

As far as I know, Albino of any species have red eyes and no colour pigments, if your bird has black eyes and white then thats what you got, not an albino.

I recently bred a red eyed white bird, that is not a albino as when it gets older has coloured patches. I expect I could breed out the coloured patches but it still would not be a "True albino"

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=248045

Ironsun.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by