1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

albino sparrow(pic)

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by birdnutz, Aug 19, 2007.

1. birdnutz

birdnutz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2007
    wyoming
    Anyone ever see an albino sparrow? We have 2 of them flying around here. Same clutch maybe?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 19, 2007
  2. mudhen

mudhen confidently clueless

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    I've never seen one, thanks for posting pic. I have had an albino crow live around our place for a couple of years.
    Very cool.

3. eenkriek

eenkriek Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2007
    Are you certain that someone in your neighborhood hasn't "freed" some canaries? Two seems a little suspicious and this guy sure looks like one!

4. JacobsRewardFarm

JacobsRewardFarm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2007
    Parker, TX
    It sure looks like a parakeet to me from this shot... hhmmm. I had a white parakeet as a kid. It was so cool

Cindy T.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2007
  5. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    Wow! That's neat! Thank you so much for posting, I'd never heard of this before though I know all critters can be albino but it is very rare. Thank you!

6. rachel

rachel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I clicked on it to see the large photo, it definitely has a sparrow style beak, rather than a parrot beak (the kind a parakeet would have). So it's either a white canary or albino sparrow. Have you heard it make any noise? Very cool!

7. JacobsRewardFarm

JacobsRewardFarm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2007
    Parker, TX
    Thanks, Birdnutz, you just taught me to click on the picture to see it larger! And you're right. The beak is all wrong for a parakeet. Sparrow or canary... but very cool.

Cindy T.

8. birdnutz

Mar 6, 2007
    wyoming
    I don't think it's a parakeet. It's mated and building a nest with a regular colored sparrow. I'm pretty sure that a wild birds will kill a forein(sp?) species of bird. Boy you should of seen the starlings go after my white eyed conure!!

9. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    Very cool. I used to breed white finches and had one come out albino. It's rare indeed to see that in the wild!

10. birdnutz

Mar 6, 2007
    wyoming
    I haven't been able to get very close to it. the pics were taken thru a window. I've heard that wild albinos have a higher risk of predation,so shes real flighty and she's always in the flock of birds. So I haven't heard her by herself. I just hope that she lives and maybe give us some more like her. I think maybe I should forward the pics to the audubon society.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by