Albino Welsummer?!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by The Monkey Mama, Nov 26, 2008.

1. The Monkey Mama

The Monkey Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2008
    Kennesaw, GA
    I have one more "What is this?" question.

I had 5 eggs bought from another [very nice] eBay seller that were supposed to be pure bred Welsummers. 4 of the eggs hatched.

This is one of the chicks that hatched, below. It looks just like the others, except it has white where all the others have reddish brown - the markings are the same, but the color is really off.

Is this actually a welsummer?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm hoping it is a girl, because it came from a very dark egg and I'd love to use her as a laying hen since I can't breed her.

Here are the other chicks from that same hatch. This one below is a girl I think. Is she the right coloring for Welsummers at this age [about 5 weeks]?

[​IMG]

And I have two that look like this picture below - I think they are both cockerals. They seem the right color - right? At least, this is more what I was expecting:

[​IMG]

I am new to breeding, so I'm trying to figure the whole thing out and build up quality stock for a handful of breeds I want to breed. But I'm definitely at the "just learning" [aka "pretty ignorant"] stage.

Anyway, any thoughts, opinions, or advice is appreciated. Thanks for looking at the pics!

Kelly

2. Hooterville

Hooterville Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow, I don't know what to tell you about the first one, but the last 2 look exactly like my welsies. The last one looks rooish but I'm not so sure on the middle bird.

Good luck!

3. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    I bet a friendly, but non-welsummer rooster got in with a pretty welsummer hen. If it were an albino, it'd have no color at all. I think you've got a cute crossbreed.

4. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Quote:I'd say you are right! [​IMG]

5. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I agree, there would be other things if it were an albino, different colored eyes (red) etc.

6. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    is it possible that it is a silver variation of a wellsummer? I'd keep it AND breed it back to a son of hers and start a new variety if the eggs were great! Sell me some o' those suckers! Or just the hen.

7. jrtpro

jrtpro Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2008
    Milan, GA
    Pure Welsummer" DARK" Hatching Eggs KY BLUEGRASS !!

She (mule3603l) got me also! I have some birds that look just like yours! White welsummers or DEL-SUMMERS! I know what we have now. She is selling a cross also and she is sending the cross out as pure. Check out what she is selling now. This is what we got for pure. Buyer beware!

"6+ WELSUMMER x DELAWARE HATCHING EGGS=DEL-SUMMERS "

8. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Definately not an albino, if it were, it would have no color pigment, and the eyes would be pink.

9. jrtpro

jrtpro Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2008
    Milan, GA
    It is a WELSUMMER x DELAWARE HATCHING EGGS=DEL-SUMMERS

10. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    That there is funny.

I don't care who ya are.