Albinos and Incomplete Albinos

Jenooni

Hatching
7 Years
May 30, 2012

We have just hatched 6 albino and incomplete albino chicks out of a clutch of 27. I have not had much experience with albino chickens, so any advice would be appreciated. From what I have read, I think this is pretty rare... can anyone shed some light on it?

The male is a Leghorn cross which produces brilliant laying hens, and the hen was an auracana cross. Neither show signs of albino traits nor have a known history of albinoism.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts.
Ta
Jen

Last edited:
There not Albino, at least not what I would call Albino.

Albino's lack skin color and from what I can see yours dont lack skin color since they have Yellow shanks.
I would say you have Dominate White chicks with a Diluted Eye Color called Pearl.
White Leghorns are Dominate White and the Dominate White Gene has been known to Dilute eye color.

Chris

This is one of the chicks hatched 2 1/2 months ago. Her eyes have very red centers but her iris has slight pigmentation and she also has a very feint touch of colour in her wings. We think she is gorgeous and she is ever so quiet.
the rooster next to her is her brother.

We have just hatched 6 albino and incomplete albino chicks out of a clutch of 27. I have not had much experience with albino chickens, so any advice would be appreciated. From what I have read, I think this is pretty rare... can anyone shed some light on it?

The male is a Leghorn cross which produces brilliant laying hens, and the hen was an auracana cross. Neither show signs of albino traits nor have a known history of albinoism.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts.
Ta
Jen

you are dealing pink eye(pk), An autosomal recessive gene. Eye colour appears pink and the plumage colour appeared blue in the birds studied by Warren (1940). The mutation was first found in White Plymouth Rocks by Warren, and later found in another flock of White Plymouth Rocks by Roberts et. al., in 1952. The mutation doesn't appear to modify pheomelanin.

References:
Crawford, R.D (ed.)(1990). Poultry Breeding and Genetics. Elsevier, Amsterdam.
Hutt, F (1949) Genetics of the Fowl"

http://stalderexotics.com/chicken_genetics.htm

from what I see on your chicks, they seem to be pink eye carriers, but the reason they are white(yellow down) its because the white leghorn carry ER and I (ER Birchen which makes a solid black down and "I" is the dominant white gene that makes that solid black chick all white instead) you have something special on those chicks, if I were you I would put some effort and breed them as there are almost NO pink eyes left on this earth

Back
Top Bottom