Albuquerque, NM Livestock Ordinances

shadowfox

Songster
Oct 22, 2016
New Mexico
My question is not chicken related, but about goats. I figured a lot of the same things would apply though in how to go about getting the zoning laws changed. For goats, the ordinance reads "Agricultural animal keeping, for noncommercial purposes, as follows: rabbits and similar animals, poultry, pigeons. Cows, horses, goats or sheep, provided the number of animals does not exceed one cow or horse for each 10,000 square feet of open lot area, or one sheep or goat for each 4,000 square feet of open lot area, or equivalent combination, provided the lot has an area of at least 21,780 square feet. Animals shall be so controlled that they cannot graze on any other premises. Animals under four months old are not counted."

The thing that gets me is that a miniature goat breed is the size of a large dog. The city does have laws regarding pets, but the space requirements are ridiculous! "(c) Dogs that weigh more than 65 pounds shall have 24 square feet of flat floor space and three feet of vertical space per dog."

Even the number of dog allowed is gross in comparison to animals considered to be "livestock."
"Any Person intending to exceed the maximum limit of six Companion Animals, no more than four of which are dogs, in a Household shall obtain a Multiple Companion Animal Site Permit (MCASP)."

"(D) No Person shall keep or maintain more than 15 Companion Animals at any MCASP site, no more than four of which can be Intact. This limit may be exceeded under special circumstances determined by the Mayor."

Let me get this straight: I can't keep two goats unless I have adequate space (I have 1/3 acre, not 1/2, so I can't keep a goat), but I can keep up to 4 LARGE dogs in a 800 sqft apartment without a permit?!?!?!?!

Any advise on how to go about changing this so that I would be able to keep goats?

Back
Top Bottom