Albuquerque Speckled Sussex Rooster in need of a home! Super Mellow Guy!

Discussion in 'Animals In Need of Free Re-Homing' started by Sky is Falling, Jun 21, 2016.

1. Sky is Falling

Sky is Falling Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2016
    Albuquerque, NM
    [​IMG]

We are new to chicken keeping, and raised (and pampered) this guy from a day old. Unfortunately we picked a rooster out of the bin... My wife and I are not too keen having to candle eggs and such or heaven forbid, crack one open with a developing chick inside as we both have memories of that while growing up. I really think our roo is a special guy as he has such a nice personality. My childhood memories of roosters are of being rushed and attacked anytime you went near the coop. "Bruce Wayne" (my 8yr old named him btw...) has never done anything remotely aggressive towards his two other girls or any of us, including the aforementioned spazzy 8yr old. Our original plan was to butcher any roosters we may end up with, but we both feel he has some unique qualities that someone may want to pass on to another generation of chickens. He is just too darned nice we feel to get that treatment. I can find no poultry swaps or anything here in ABQ, and yes craiglist would probably work, but who knows if the person who takes him would really keep him, or just have a nice chicken dinner? So I thought I would throw this out there and see if anyone may be interested.

Info: He is a big beautiful boy with a good disposition, We purchased the batch of chickens on Feb 25, 2016, so they are about four months old? Wow seems linger than that! Our girls are not quite laying yet, but we expect them very soon. He is full grown by his size. Nice speckling and a full tail of strutting feathers. As for crowing, he does his share, but nearly always early (8) to mid (10) morning, unless the Airforce is flying C130's over our house and then he goes to town for about 10 min. He is also quite the treathound and sometimes crows when we leave the cage without giving him some scratch or other goodies. I will try to post a picture of him here, but I am not the most tech savvy person out there. If interested just post here and Ill see if we can work something out? (not sure how this goes... [​IMG]) Oh and we wish for no money, just a nice place he can be himself!

Thanks for looking!

Last edited: Jun 21, 2016
  2. Sky is Falling

Feb 25, 2016
    Albuquerque, NM
    [​IMG]

Here is another view from around a month ago... :)

3. Kaylin

Kaylin Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2016
    Santa Fe, Texas
    Wow. I would be interested but I'm a ways away from you (near houston). I have a mixed flock of 13 week old pullets including 2 speckled sussex which I am completely enamored with.

4. Sky is Falling

Feb 25, 2016
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks Kaylin! I wish we were closer!

5. Kaylin

Kaylin Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2016
    Santa Fe, Texas
    Me too! Good luck with finding a wonderful home for him!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by