Alec, I'll Take Sexing Device For $400

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Gatekeeper, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Louisiana
    Well now I got a few folks attention lets see what this post does. My first post "stirred the pot" on trying to get improve pullet ratio during hatches. This one I hope is taken as seriously. *Get ready Ms Prissy* lol

Some years ago, I purchased an apparatus from a fellow Cajun that claimed it could sex eggs before they hatched.

I still have it and am thinking about putting to the test. Has anyone ever seen one or used one before.

The gizmo is suspended from a string and either moves diagonally if its a male or in a circle if its a female.

Now I hate to think I spent $5 on a subterfuge. In the day that $5 could have bought 5 gallons of gas.

Gate

2. Ace_king_brahma

Ace_king_brahma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Castroville, Texas
    I brought this up in the: Everything else chickn section a few weeks back. We all had a good time laughing about it.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I have a sexing device. It's called a QUARTER. You flip it. Call heads or tails. You have a 50/50 chance of being right. Same diff.

4. JimnJanet

JimnJanet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    S.W Pa.
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] I remember as a kid ( and $5 would buy 16 gal o' gas then ) my mom and my aunts did that silly thing also with the string. They would dangle something(?) from a string over the nekid belly button of a pregnant woman and see iffin it swung across or in a circle. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Must Be Losing It

Must Be Losing It Lost It

Mar 3, 2008
    Uxbridge MA
    I heard about the same thing for determining baby sexes as well, but read it in my history book in highschool under the Ripley's Believe it or Not section!!!

6. coopist

coopist Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    Midwest U.S.
    Quote:ROFL!

And so very true.

7. OzarkCountryGirl

OzarkCountryGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Ozark Highlands
    Some people say to only use a crystal on a silk thread, but I've heard others say a needle on cotton string will do the same thing. [​IMG]

And that if the crystal/needle swings back and forth, it's one sex. If it swings around in a circular motion, then it's the other...but I can't remember which is which. [​IMG]

8. JimnJanet

JimnJanet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    S.W Pa.
    Quote:Sheeeewwww we must o' been dirt po folk. [​IMG]
    I recall the gals in my family usin a bobbie pin on a shoe lace [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. ncgnance

ncgnance Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Iredell County, NC
    Heck, we couldn't afford bobbie pins OR shoe laces. We didn't have shoes. We used a stick on a vine!!![​IMG][​IMG]

10. OzarkCountryGirl

OzarkCountryGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Ozark Highlands
    [​IMG] ROFLOL!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by