1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Alex's Journal of Keeping Heritage Cockerels for Meat

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by SquareInchFarm, Mar 5, 2014.

1. SquareInchFarm

SquareInchFarm Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2014
    Minnesota
    Jan sometime -Mar 5th 2014, did research and played with several pullets to quantify costs and feed/weight ratio.

Mar 5th 2014, ordered Cackle Surprise Package from Cackle, want to use the pullets for egg production and the cockerels for meat. I am lucky enough that my city allows BYC and waives butcher license/inspection for direct farmer-to-customer sales (yes I am considered a farmer now).

Mar 5th morning, leaving to an acquaintance's place, from whom I used to buy 100lb bags of grains and mix on my own into feeds. I am seeing him to discuss if I can get a even cheaper price for another load.

Bought some play sand as grit on the way there. I make my own sift to separate coarse grains of sand from finer ones so I save the cost of buying grits.

Will keep this updated as I make more progress. For those of you who have no idea what Cackle Surprise is, check other posts with this phrase and you 'll see many addicted to this "chick gambling" game.

Wish me good luck =D

2 people like this.
  2. SquareInchFarm

Feb 23, 2014
    Minnesota
    phhh! I was reading a journal before typing this, I meant my DIARY of bird keeping, not JOURNAL. typo~

3. LindaB220

LindaB220 Overrun With Chickens

Aug 23, 2013
    Portland/Vancouver area
    Hey Square Inch, looking forward to hearing of pros and cons on this. A very important topic to research. [​IMG]

4. SquareInchFarm

Feb 23, 2014
    Minnesota
    Hi Linda, thanks for posting =D

March 5 evening
    my chicks r scheduled to ship on 13th, they ll spend 5 weeks in their indoor coop before the ground thaws and blades of grass emerge for them to snack on.

I am thinking of planting wheatgrass for myself and plant the less tender parts of wheatgrass in my garden for my chicks to feed on later. food scrap sorting has begun too

5. Ruthster55

Ruthster55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2013
    I hope you freeze or refrigerate the food scraps if they are intended for chicks that won't arrive until the 13th.

I dunno.....I just give 'em today's food scraps and if there aren't many, they get feed. They had a bonanza Monday and Tuesday but were mostly on feed today.

1 person likes this.
  6. SquareInchFarm

Feb 23, 2014
    Minnesota
    Haha thanks, my porch is a naturL freezer with this temperature and I keep my feed and chopped food scrap in separate rodent-proof boxes. The chicks will love them

7. SquareInchFarm

Feb 23, 2014
    Minnesota
    Mar 7
    Bought feeds and tested my own handmade version of heat lamp. It gets to 80 but not 95, i am changing the cord to one with a larger load tomorrow

Mar 8
    Too lazy, didn do :p

8. LindaB220

LindaB220 Overrun With Chickens

Aug 23, 2013
    Portland/Vancouver area
    How about a heating pad for extra warmth. It might help.

Edited for content: How are they acting? Huddled together? Are you losing any to bunching? Keep us informed. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  9. SquareInchFarm

Feb 23, 2014
    Minnesota
    am planning to buy one, but was afraid that the heating pad would leave the chicks no where to escape from the heat, unlike a heating lamp

10. SlipsWife

SlipsWife Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    Odessa, Texas
    This is our second year ordering the Hatchery Surprise from Cackle. Do you have plans for the bantams? Are you going to keep the bantam pullets and process the bantam roos? Also, you might get a few Polish, which are scrawny things and you won't want to use them for meat or layers, from our experience at least. You can usually pick out the bantams (though some standard size chicks start off small, our turkens did, and some bantams appear large but seem to mature slowly) and Polish pretty easily to sell right off, Craigslist is usually a good option for that, at least around where I am.

If you go under their 'Meat Chickens' section there are a number of options that might be better than the surprise for what you're wanting to do. I'm waiting for ours to mature some and then we'll keep a couple, sell most, and then I want to order a meat option since I've already ordered our layers.

If I'm reading right your shipment isn't scheduled until Wednesday? You might be able to call tomorrow and change it to something that fits what you're wanting better. I truly believe you will be extremely disappointed in the hatchery surprise for what you are doing.

You could also just call the hatchery and talk to them. The couple of times I have they've been great. We are dealing with a number of losses from our shipment from last week, probably due to cold, but our Cinnamon Queen and EE pullets that we received a month ago are doing great! We only had 1 loss last year from our surprise and it was our first real jump into chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by