Alfalfa cubes?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by greenfamilyfarms, Mar 18, 2009.

1. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    I cannot find alfalfa in bales here. However, my TSC has it in little cubes (like a square pellet) in 50 pound bags and it's reasonably priced. They say they market it mostly to horse owners.

Do you think my goats will eat it?

Last edited: Mar 18, 2009
  2. helmstead

helmstead Songster

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    No, they can't chew cubes. Ask for PELLETS.

3. Broke Down Ranch

Broke Down Ranch Songster

Apr 18, 2007
    Texas
    We tried the cubes once. The only way they would eat it is if we broke it down into itty bitty pieces - it sure goes a long way that way...lol. But they do love their pellets [​IMG] Problem we have with the pellets is the amount of dust in there. We are probably going to change suppliers....

4. Granolamom

Granolamom Songster

Sep 9, 2008
    Dallas
    Since you haven't bought it yet, don't bother. I purchased a 50lbs bag before I picked up my goats, and THEN found out that they could not chew it. What I do is crush it with a hammer, and then give it to them. They love it like that. Somebody suggested soaking it in water, which I tried as well, but they turned their noses up at it wet. If you only have a few goats, crushing it works (I'll give the rest of it to a friend of mine who has horses, though).

5. helmstead

helmstead Songster

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    Quote:Yep some pellets are better than others. I've found two suppliers of large pellets which are nice and clean. Just have to shop around.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: