alfalfa cubes?

KDbeads

Songster
10 Years
Aug 20, 2009
East Central VA
Went into town today and dropped by a few feed stores to see if I could find a flock block. The NHR's and EE's are literally digging out of the runs at the moment trying to get to what little green stuff there is left on the other side. So I figured I'd try to supplement more than the cabbage and lettuce I have been.

No one had a clue... until the last store and a customer next to me suggested alfalfa cubes. Told me he was doing the same for his flock and to just soak it with a bit of water and stand back.

Well..... they stay as far away from the trays as possible, same treat trays I normally use.

Anyone else try these?

Yeah, I found out they don't care much for alfalfa pellets either. I soak them overnight and mix into their morning treat. But, I can't use more than two pellets at a time, or they just act like "we can't eat Any of this, cuz it's got Yucky alfalfa in it". Spoiled birds walk around wiping their beaks and raising a racket about it.

Flock Block is a Purina product. It doesn't have any alfalfa or greens in it. It's a lot like a deer block, with more grain in it. I have heard of people feeding alfalfa to their laying hens when they had no grass. They bought a bale of alfalfa, not the compressed blocks.

We just mowed last weekend and they decimated their piles in less than 3 hours! Looks like we won't have to mow for another month though
hmm.png

I'm trying anything at the moment to keep them from digging tunnels, don't have the ability to let them free range, my dane would eat them all! If they keep it up I may have to put fencing down inside the run
roll.png
A big head of cabbage doesn't even last a half day with the 4 big girls, for the 3 EE's it lasts about 24 hours. Everyone else is happy.

Mine will eat softened alfalfa pellets as a last resort. They have to be desperate. Cabbage costs an arm and a leg so haven't done that yet. Might break down and do one since they have nothing on the ground now due to the snow. And as usual, except for 3 - 4, none will leave the coop. The rest look outside and complain.

At TSC I buy a bag of stuff that is timothy and alfalfa chopped to about 2 inches -- mainly it's for the rabbits, but occasionally I give it to the chickens, too. And it's nice short lengths for them, better than just hay.

Back
Top Bottom