1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Alfalfa for chickens

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Dannee, Mar 30, 2011.

1. Dannee

Dannee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2011
    Reno, Nevada
    Hi all....I was told by someone yesterday who said she raised chickens for years....that I should feed my chickens scratch and alfalfa instead of Oyster shells.......when they get older...any views on this? Let me know ok?
    Thanks

2. felidaet

felidaet Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2008
    Vancouver, Wa.
    Scratch is chicken candy. Don't given them too much. It can make them fat. This would not serve as a replacement for Oyster shell. I don't know anything about feeding them Alfala. The purpose of the oyster shell is to provide calcium for stronger egg shells. Oyster shell is cheap. I can get a 50 lb bag for less than $10.00. I have 33 birds and a 50lb bag will last many months, maybe a year. During the winter when they are not laying very many eggs that don't consume much of it. Right now all of them are laying and they are consuming more but a little bit goes a long way.

3. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Alfalfa has a lot of vitamin K which helps keep calcium in bones. It does not provide calcium directly but does help it absorb so I would still recommend oyster shell.

4. Dannee

Mar 19, 2011
    Reno, Nevada
    Thank you so much! I also just posted pics of my babies...any guesses as to the sexes? Let me know....thanks again!

5. KZ

KZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2010
    Fountain, Colorado
    I did not realize until I read this, then did some online research, that alfalfa is a good source of calcuim. We grow alfalfa, so my chickens and other fowl always have it and like it very much. I give them layer feed and scratch and try to suppliment with some crushed oyster shell when I think of it, but I admit I am not good about remembering to suppliment with the oyster shell. They have had no problems with eggs or shells - probably because of all the access to alfalfa. I love it when I accidently do something right!

[​IMG]

6. Dannee

Mar 19, 2011
    Reno, Nevada
    Your funny:) Thank you...so I will give Alfalfa in addition too their feed and oyster shell....did you look at my babies? any guesses as to the sexes?

7. OHGrandma

OHGrandma Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2011
    Ohio
    Alfalfa leaves are also high in protein. Top quality alfalfa hay will be 22-25% protein, with most of the protein in the leaves. Giving a chicken free choice alfalfa & scratch would let the chicken balance her own diet.

8. SunnyDayz

SunnyDayz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Sunny FL
    My hens love alfalfa! I noticed that when they have fresh alfalfa, their eggs are richer and the color of the yolk is deeper orange. They love scratching in it too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by