1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Alfalfa Hay

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by pv46sd, Nov 11, 2016.

1. pv46sd

pv46sd Just Hatched

Jul 19, 2016
    Eastern South Dakota
    I need an answer on this question ASAP, as I have alfalfa on a trailer that my neighbor gave me but I see it is dusty! is it going to make my chickens sick if I spread it around in the quonset so they can pick & scratch thru it this winter?? I only have a few hens and a roo but certainly don't want them to get sick.
    Any replies will be greatly appreciated & ty in advance.

I LOVE this site & also my BYC calendar & bumper stickers that came today!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Keep the hay dry so it doesn't mold.
    A little dust isn't going to hurt them, just dole out a bit at a time.
    Everything in moderation.

3. pv46sd

pv46sd Just Hatched

Jul 19, 2016
    Eastern South Dakota
    Thanks for the reply. hated to chuck it all out as there are lots of nice, green leaves on it.

4. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    If it is in a bail, just leave it in the bail, they will scratch through it, but much more slowly, reducing the dust at one time. Mine love this.

Mrs K

5. pv46sd

pv46sd Just Hatched

Jul 19, 2016
    Eastern South Dakota
    Nope, not in a bale. The neighbor busted a big round bale when stacking them so thats why he gave it to me. It is all inside now. Lots of pitchfork work but the chickens will be content with it this winter I'm sure! The hay that was closest to the ground didn't look or smell good so I threw all of that out. Don't need or want moldy hay!

Thxs for the input & keep the awesome, nice weather coming!

Gail in S.D.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by