alfalfa hay

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by namreknat, Dec 27, 2008.

1. namreknat

namreknat Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2008
    N.W. Oklahoma
    I have two seperate coops and runs. Five month old leghorns in one; and two month old australorps and orpingtons in the other. I supply them with the proper ration, clean water, and grit 24/7. With grass in short supply now, I have wondering if some good leafy alfalfa hay would be good or maybe lead to problems with crop impaction. I hang a head of cabbage in their runs about once a week; which they devour in a days time. I would like to have something else to keep them "busy". What do you think?

2. I think you will waste money on the alfalfa. If you want to put hay in give em some orchard grass. Really, I thiink all they will do it scratch at it for the bugs underneath !!

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    We always gave them a flake of alfalfa back when I was growing up and they loved it... with no problems.

4. chicken stalker

chicken stalker TOS Rocks!

Aug 31, 2008
    Binghamton, NY
    On the extra cold days I've been giving them some alfalfa hay. I shake it them let it fall in fluffy piles...they love it.

5. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    It also keeps the yolks a bright yellow color in the winter when they have little green forage.

6. namreknat

namreknat Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2008
    N.W. Oklahoma
    Thanks for the replies. I'm going to get them some. [​IMG]

7. valerie

valerie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2007
    Yukon, Oklahoma
    I give mine alfalfa too. I usually just 'clean up' around the barn and put it in their run. They love it. There's not much the chickens don't like [​IMG]
    Valerie

8. crazy huhn

crazy huhn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2008
    Mine get the leafy stuff, left over from the horse hay.....without any problems.

9. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Yep - mine run like crazy when we give the horse alphalfa, they can not WAIT to dig around in it - they do eat some.

10. EllyMae

EllyMae Chillin' With My Peeps

I throw fescue in there too...sometimes it has seed pods and other junk for them to scratch around in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by