Alfalfa, kick starts egg laying for me every time

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by jmagill, Dec 7, 2011.

1. jmagill

jmagill Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Western Wyoming
    Only one hen has been laying for the last two weeks. She is a BLRW/light Sussex cross. The coronation and light Sussex hens have stopped. I have light too increase the daylight but we have had very cold weather this fall.

Just as I have done the last three years, I started feeding alfalfa that has accumulated from the bales we are feeding the horses. A mix of stocks and leaves. Two days later and the others have started laying.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  2. cackleberrycoop

cackleberrycoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Montana
    Awesome. I learned last year to have a bale or two handy throughout the winter months; any time I get the feeling that the flock is struggling to maintain, I toss them some of the green stuff for a few days and it does wonders!! I had read somewhere about making them a tea out of alfalfa and tried that as well, but I gave it too them too warm (seemed like a good idea a the time) and the steam that settled on the rooster's combs froze and I ended up mercy killing one poor boy as a result...... Otherwise, I'm sure it would have been a very healthy thing for them.

3. Fiddlehead

Fiddlehead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Western Mass
    I totally believe you because there is an article in Backyard Poultry discussing winter laying. They mentioned alfalfa hay as well as cod liver oil, lime whitewash inside the coop, green legumes, collards, kale, lettuce, cabbage, suet and of course additional light. They did caution not to overdo it or make lots of changes on your birds. There was another article that gave directions on how to use bean sprouts as supplement, growing them from the mung bean in big containers. It was interesting! Glad to hear you are having success, I think I will try some alfalfa! Thanks : )

4. Dutch552

Dutch552 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Hart County, KY
    My girls always end up in the barn during the wintertime and I find them scratching in the alfalfa/timothy hay and their production is excellent in the winter months. I can see where the extra protein in the green alfalfa would cause this.

5. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

I use it in my coop, all the stuff that falls off the bales I feed the horses. It's basically my bedding.
    I also have mustard and kale planted and they get a big salad everyday.

6. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    Where would one get alfalfa?

7. cackleberrycoop

cackleberrycoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Montana
    Quote:Those must be HAPPY birds.

8. vsmenagerie

vsmenagerie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2011
    MT
    Have any of you use alfalfa pellets with good luck? Any tricks? Mine wont eat the pellets..but they love hay. Im going to try making a mash of the pellets and mixing it into their feed..

9. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    I started incorporating alfalfa pellets into my birds' feed at a pretty high rate. They won't eat them whole, at least the ones I get, because they're fairly large, being meant for bigger livestock to eat. I soak them in water or leftover whey from cheesemaking until they're a mush and then mix that into the grains when I fill the feeder. They don't like it as much as picking the leaves out of a nice fresh bale of hay, but they do eat it well. It also is fairly cheap.

10. annep

annep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    I am so going to try that..we have alfalfa pellets for our rabbits, and then the bales too..Ill give it a shot..Bet they'd like it..High in protein too

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by